• Black Panther: Wakanda Forever BAD

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania GOOD

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania BAD

Votes: 20 18.2%

Bagpuss

Legend
I think the movies that have been set largely in recognisable places on Earth (even if it is the mythical Wakanda) are generally better than the ones set in almost entirely CGI creations. The Spiderman films for example seem to be better liked as they on the whole are set in the real world, even when he explores the idea of the Multiverse it is pulling characters from it into the "real world" not jumping through a CGI wonderscape like in Dr Strange.

The recent Antman suffered from this CGI setting particularly, going into the Quantum realm also meant Paul Rudd didn't have Michael Peña to work with (absolutely criminal that he didn't even have an after credits scene). Worse they separated him from Michael Douglas during much of the movie, who has been a great straight man for him in the earlier films. So the whole film lacked a lot of the comedy of the first films.

The quality and experience of the writers and directors of the phase 4 seems a step down as well, many of them having their big film debuts with the Marvel movies.

Consider Ant Man - you have Edgar Wright as lead writer fresh off the Cornetto trilogy, with plenty of support from known comic writers, and Paul Rudd.

Then Quantumania - you have Jeff Loveness his first film, and before that just a few episodes of cartoons and part of the team for Jimmy Kimmel. No other writers or support.

MarkB

Legend
I think the movies that have been set largely in recognisable places on Earth (even if it is the mythical Wakanda) are generally better than the ones set in almost entirely CGI creations. The Spiderman films for example seem to be better liked as they on the whole are set in the real world, even when he explores the idea of the Multiverse it is pulling characters from it into the "real world" not jumping through a CGI wonderscape like in Dr Strange.
The Eternals would be a pretty major exception to that theory. Real-world setting, real world in peril, still feels very disconnected and unengaging.

Bagpuss

Legend
The Eternals would be a pretty major exception to that theory. Real-world setting, real world in peril, still feels very disconnected and unengaging.

I think part of the issue there is the writing team, and the source material.

You've got a story spanning human history, with large gaps in time between scenes, so it is going to be tricky to tell without it feeling disconnected.

Ryujin

Legend
I think part of the issue there is the writing team, and the source material.

You've got a story spanning human history, with large gaps in time between scenes, so it is going to be tricky to tell without it feeling disconnected.
Sure, but it also felt emotionally disconnected for me. Not just temporally. Perhaps that foreshadows The Eternals' origins, in the MCU, or perhaps there just wasn't a lot to make me empathize with them.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I've enjoyed most of the 4th phase.

Quantumania and Wakanda Forever are pretty average. I still found things about them to enjoy. They look great. Any single scene in Wakanda Forever was solid; it was a very good cast. Quantumania, I just sat back and enjoyed the visuals. And Jonathon Majors. But neither of them stand out as good movies. And I agree with @Bagpuss that not giving Paul Rudd more opportunity to work with the Michaels Douglas and Pena was a terrible waste of great actor synergy.

The rest are good in their ways. Yes, even Eternals. I watched it as a family drama. I feel it works that way. BW, Shang-chi, all the Spider-men, and Thor I thoroughly enjoyed. MoM did Wanda wrong. But Olson was great and I was willing to sit back and enjoy the Sam Raimi gonzoness of it.

I do agree that Marvel needs to cut back on the CGI fests. It's not needed for every movie, surely?

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but Phase 4 didn't feature a big concluding Avengers movie.

Phase 1 - Avengers
Phase 2 - Ago of Ultron
Phase 3 - Infinity War/Endgame

Last edited:

Remove ads