• Black Panther: Wakanda Forever BAD

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania GOOD

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania BAD

Votes: 20 18.2%

Thomas Shey

Legend
I think that's an extremely limited view of superhero comics.

When viewed as a whole, I don't. Throughout most of the history of the genre, I'd be hardpressed to think of a storyline that did not have a physical confrontation as part of its finale, and the few I can are very clear outliers.

Frankly, it strikes me as objecting to the fact that almost all Westerns have at least one gunfight. You can have the occasional historical set in the same time period that doesn't do that, but they aren't really Westerns, and you can have the occasional people-with-powers story that doesn't have combat, but they aren't really superhero stories. Even the most cerebral oriented of the latter feature that, the only usual question is the proportion.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Wakanda Forever is pretty good. It's gorgeous, and Namor is really interesting (and makes the Aquaman movie look even more cheesy), but the whole thing has an understandable pall over it that it never quite escapes.

Its hard to see how any sequel there wasn't going to have that problem, honestly. But not to do one would probably also have done Boseman a different sort of disservice. It was pretty much a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Stalker0

Legend
Eternals felt like it would have worked a lot better as a mini series. MoM and Love & Thunder were character assassinations of Wanda and Thor and mediocre movies besides (pretty though). The three spider-mans movie was nothing but shallow fanservice that feels awkward as hell to watch outside of a theatre because there's so many pauses for the audience to cheer or whatever, but I still enjoyed the three of them interacting. Shang-Chi was great, despite the giant monster CGI boss battle ending. Black Widow was probably the most overall enjoyable.

Still haven't seen Wakanda Forever or the new Ant-Man. Will probably watch WF for that gorgeous visual design (and hunk-Namor) at some point, dunno if I'll bother with Ant-Man.
I agree, I really think the eternal as a tv show was the way to go. They had so much ground to cover that 1 3 hour movie just couldn’t get it all in

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
I agree, I really think the eternal as a tv show was the way to go. They had so much ground to cover that 1 3 hour movie just couldn’t get it all in
Yeah, the exact same plot beats spread out over a six episode mini series would have had so much more time to breath and better establish the relationships between the Eternals.

Zardnaar

Legend
Watched Eternals that was enough for me. I have Disney+ as well.

Tbf I didn't think that much of phase 1-3 either think I like about 4 MCU movies.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm in the minority here in one respect: I actually thought Eternals was pretty good at being what it was: an introduction and boot-up for a whole new swath of characters; a Part I of something bigger. Oh sure, the heroes did some stuff too, but to me that wasn't the point. Now if they never make another Eternals then in hindsight this movie will look like nothing more than a failed experiment, which is too bad as I think they're onto the beginnings of something good there.

As for the rest, Spiderman is probably my least favourite of any superhero anywhere, but even then the last one (and I too get the bloody titles mixed up) was pretty damn good. And Dr. Strange MoM would IMO have been better done as a Scarlet Witch movie (she never did get a movie of her own :( ), with Strange appearing but not starring; it and the first Spiderman got my only "Bad" votes.

Thor L+T provides the camp and silliness it advertises on the tin. Good fun. They did about as well with Wakanda Forever as they really could have done, given the situation; and Black Widow is good but really should have come out before Endgame rather than after.

Haven't seen the new Ant Man yet, nor any of the TV series.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm in the minority here in one respect: I actually thought Eternals was pretty good at being what it was: an introduction and boot-up for a whole new swath of characters; a Part I of something bigger. Oh sure, the heroes did some stuff too, but to me that wasn't the point. Now if they never make another Eternals then in hindsight this movie will look like nothing more than a failed experiment, which is too bad as I think they're onto the beginnings of something good there.

As for the rest, Spiderman is probably my least favourite of any superhero anywhere, but even then the last one (and I too get the bloody titles mixed up) was pretty damn good. And Dr. Strange MoM would IMO have been better done as a Scarlet Witch movie (she never did get a movie of her own :( ), with Strange appearing but not starring; it and the first Spiderman got my only "Bad" votes.

Thor L+T provides the camp and silliness it advertises on the tin. Good fun. They did about as well with Wakanda Forever as they really could have done, given the situation; and Black Widow is good but really should have come out before Endgame rather than after.

Haven't seen the new Ant Man yet, nor any of the TV series.
Wanda didn't get a movie but she and Vision did get the series "WandaVision." I would have liked to have seen more of her character, but there is a fair bit. I had trouble getting through the first few episodes, having grown up with the sitcoms that those episodes are based on, but it got better.

There was some buzz about "Eternals 2", some time back, but I doubt that it's happening. Both industry and viewer reviews were just too mixed.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Spiderman is probably my least favourite of any superhero anywhere
giphy.gif

Stalker0

Legend
They did about as well with Wakanda Forever as they really could have done, given the situation
I think WF is a mixed bag, and I do agree they had a tough sell with Chadwick's death. We can argue whether Shuri was the right choice for the mantle vs Okeye, you can argue is bringing in another teenage genius that overlapped heavily with Shuri was a good idea (you can also argue that for Bruce banner and Tony Stark but their fields are at least pretty different).

I think my number 1 complaint with WF is....its just too damn long. It really drags in the middle, just nothing is happening for a long stretch. They could have cut out a good 30-45 minutes of movie and it probably would have been a lot better.

MarkB

Legend
I think WF is a mixed bag, and I do agree they had a tough sell with Chadwick's death. We can argue whether Shuri was the right choice for the mantle vs Okeye, you can argue is bringing in another teenage genius that overlapped heavily with Shuri was a good idea (you can also argue that for Bruce banner and Tony Stark but their fields are at least pretty different).

I think my number 1 complaint with WF is....its just too damn long. It really drags in the middle, just nothing is happening for a long stretch. They could have cut out a good 30-45 minutes of movie and it probably would have been a lot better.
To me it's just too disconnected from the rest of the world. It's mostly just one super-powered fictional nation fighting another super-powered fictional nation.

Also, after the amazing world-building they did with Wakanda in the first Black Panther movie, while they didn't exactly drop the ball on it this time, they didn't really add much to it either.

Remove ads