D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

ECMO3

Hero
Here is what I think we will see:

1a. Redo PHB races to align with Tasha's and VRGR. Specifically allowing bonuses to be assigned anywhere, proficiencies to be informal: example Elves get proficiency in one skill instead of proficiency in Perception), Dwarf combat training provides proficiency in 2 martial and 2 simple weapons. Also all racial spells will now be able to use any ASI and use spell slots to cast

1b. Alternatively instead of 1a they may do away with races entirely and have a list of features that you choose. Essentially everyone would be what is now called custom lineage but with a feat being one option but other options available as well. You choose the features you want with your character, then choose her size and what she looks like.

2. I think we will see some feats reworked with the older feats made more like the newer ones.
'
3. I think we will have several new ways to roll/buy abilities.

4. I think we will see alignments retired completely

5. I do not think there will be major changes to any of the classes and the basic class chassis, although some of the subclasses will be tweaked and others eliminated.

6. I think you will see some Magic The Gathering rules and options officially integrated into D&D

7. I think the magic items will be cleaned up so you don't have uncommon items that should be rare and vice versa

8. I think we will see expanded rules on tool use.

Possible things I could see happening:

9. Simplified Armor. Instead of a bunch of different armors, just 3 types: light AC12+dex, medium AC15+dex(max 2), heavy AC18. Then you decide if your heavy armor is plate or ring mail, but regardless that is just flavor and the stats are the same.

10. Simplified weapons: Reduce the weapons table into class and features. So instead of having a longsword and a warhammer with the same features and same damage you would just have:
Versatile Martial melee weapon: d8/d10

Instead of a dagger you would have:
Versatile, Thrown, Finesse simple melee weapon: d4

Then you decide what your weapon looks like for flavor purposes and you choose the damage type (bludgeoning, piercing or slashing) but the damage dice is determined by the combination of type (simple/martial) and features (versatile, finesse, reach, loading, heavy .....).

Last edited:

Here is what I think we will see:

1a. Redo PHB races to align with Tasha's and VRGR. Specifically allowing bonuses to be assigned anywhere, proficiencies to be informal: example Elves get proficiency in one skill instead of proficiency in Perception), Dwarf combat training provides proficiency in 2 martial and 2 simple weapons. Also all racial spells will now be able to use any ASI and use spell slots to cast

1b. Alternatively instead of 1a they may do away with races entirely and have a list of features that you choose. Essentially everyone would be what is now called custom lineage but with a feat being one option but other options available as well. You choose the features you want with your character, then choose her size and what she looks like.

2. I think we will see some feats reworked with the older feats made more like the newer ones.
'
3. I think we will have several new ways to roll/buy abilities.

4. I think we will see alignments retired completely

5. I do not think there will be major changes to any of the classes and the basic class chassis, although some of the subclasses will be tweaked and others eliminated.

6. I think you will see some Magic The Gathering rules and options officially integrated into D&D

7. I think the magic items will be cleaned up so you don't have uncommon items that should be rare and vice versa

8. I think we will see expanded rules on tool use.

Actually maybe Perception should be a skill at all, it's more an innate ability like having enhanced senses of the Elves, so instead of getting perception skill they just get advantage on perception checks as keen senses. Use investigate if you want a trained skill the improves ones innate perception.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
3 action economy similar to pathfinder and more tactical combat. Significantly more options.

Since there's more money in being simple/narrative/newbie-friendly I expect to be disappointed.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I am sure they'll change the race stuff and other things they've been tweaking.

I want monsters to be more interesting. I don't think that will happen. I also think they should do some kind of warlord thing, and minions for monsters. I expect neither.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I significantly doubt we're going to be getting on the level of Level Up. Races redone like Tasha's, some spells added into base because they're pretty required, a few spells retired for being too niche and unused, others buffed a smidgin to make them more viable.

I don't expect too many changes.

ECMO3

Hero
Actually maybe Perception should be a skill at all, it's more an innate ability like having enhanced senses of the Elves, so instead of getting perception skill they just get advantage on perception checks as keen senses. Use investigate if you want a trained skill the improves ones innate perception.
I doubt that will happen. I think they may change some of the rules on stealth, perception and investigation but I don't see perception as a skill going away.

Also I think racial traits will be less tied to race, so "keen senses" may be a racial trait but it would not be specifically tied to elves, you could take that as an option on your elf or your dwarf or your tortle or whatever race, likewise you could choose stonecunning for your elf.

Juicy Brucey

Villager
Changes to simplify DM'ing.

Non-charisma based social skills. Maybe even just rework the whole skill system.

Backgrounds was a good move in 5e. Maybe too much emphasis is on back story that no one ever sees now. Main story is far more interesting. Something that encourages players to develop the story that actually happens at the table more. Personal quest trope paths with reward? I don't know.

Aldarc

Legend
Changes to simplify DM'ing.

Non-charisma based social skills. Maybe even just rework the whole skill system.

Backgrounds was a good move in 5e. Maybe too much emphasis is on back story that no one ever sees now. Main story is far more interesting. Something that encourages players to develop the story that actually happens at the table more. Personal quest trope paths with reward? I don't know.
I wish - though do not expect - that Backgrounds did more interesting things.

One of my problem with feats and the Alt Human is that some feats are the best way for some PCs to reflect their backgrounds or character concept. For example, if you want to reflect that your character has some magical training, but not enough for a feat, then you have to wait until you get Magical Training at 4th level. But it would be nice if you could just pick a Background, e.g., "Wizard's Apprentice," and then you could also pick up a wizard cantrip.

So I would like to see a greater emphasis on Backgrounds or see them expand what Backgrounds could do.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”

Yes. Technically it's in there that your skill proficiencies can be used with alternate abilities, but that should be highlighted more, and the default ability-skill pairings should be downplayed or even eliminated.

Remove ads