D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

Heh, I understand what you mean about the wizard, but I'm just a huge fan of the 4e Swordmage. No 5e gish is even close to how good of a gish the Swordmage was, even after they re-introduced a few of its signature abilities, like Booming Blade.
I think we have a huge hole (one they try to fill with eldritch knight and bladesinger) in the way of a 1/2 arcane caster like paladin or ranger and Swordmage is perfect fit. but you need some cross over spells with wizard, but some JUST swordmage spells

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
What do I want?

Warlord, more inherent Fighter utility, Warlord, revisions to several spells to make them less obtuse, Warlord, better support for tactical combat, Warlord, martial healing, Warlord, actually useful magic item pricing etc., Warlord, a complete overhaul of the CR system so that it's not near-worthless, Warlord, a rework of most of the game's feats so they don't suck so much (or, for the rare few, are not stupidly powerful), Warlord, a Cosmic sorcerer subclass, Warlord, and Warlord.

Oh, and Warlord. Might've forgotten to mention that.

What do I expect?

Mostly small tweaks, errata integrated into the rules, slight re-phrasing. Changes to the layout of the Race Ancestry chapter. Possibly putting the Artificer into the PHB. Rework of the base Ranger (the Tasha's version, with Primal Companion, will be the default; the DMG may offer a spell-less alternate version, sorta like how the current DMG has the Oathbreaker Paladin.) Book may end up 20-30 pages longer in total (unless they trim out some of the art, which is possible). People will most likely be shocked by how little changes actually change things.

JEB

Legend
Otherwise, I assume there will be an SRD, which should cover most rule changes and such.
They may do a 2024 update of the SRD, but I wouldn't be 100% sure of it. If they do, they may also delay its release by a year or so, to avoid affecting sales of the revised core rules while they're fresh. A lot depends on how much they value third-party support (especially when they have the DM Guild).

want:
a ground up rewrite called 6e. I want 4e merged with 5e with some brand new ideas.

expect:
they will ride the fence and not call it 5.5 or6 (but we will call it one or the other) it will have new updated race/linage rules (not exactly what we got in tasha's or multiverse... but that is the base, and they will expand on it over the next few years) and class modifications (no idea how but the surveys already show this) I bet feats will see full overhauls.

halfway between want/expect I think/hope spells and concentration are adjusted.

Do you think any new races or classes will be in 5.5e PHB? (By new I mean new to the PHB, not to the game itself?).

JEB

Legend
Do you think any new races or classes will be in 5.5e PHB? (By new I mean new to the PHB, not to the game itself?).
I think it's a given that orcs will be in the 2024 PHB. There are a few other maybes, but I'd put money on orcs. Custom lineage is going to be in the 2024 DMG for sure if it doesn't make it into the PHB.

Not expecting any new classes, but likely a number of particularly popular subclasses will be moved to the core.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Tbh, calling it 6e seems like a wild choice, to me. I don’t think they will.

But as long as I can just keep using my current stuff, don’t have to rewrite all my homebrew for it to work with the new stuff, etc, I don’t really care that much.
Yeah, time will tell how it shakes out. I certainly think it will more likely be called 6E than "5.5" or anything silly as that.

What I expect to see is rewritten (but backwards compatible!) Core books, and a new trade dress. Feels like a new Edition by usual publishing definitions, even if I don't see anything as radical as prior D&D Editions.

Li Shenron

Legend
  • Possibly reworking warlocks, fighters, and monks because they seem to be deprecating short rests. (fighters are easy - prof times/day; ki and warlock spells are harder)
I think all your guesses are likely, but deprecating short rests would be a MAJOR shift enough to call it another half edition at least.

It might seem easy to just think that everywhere it says "you can't do this again until you complete a short rest" change it to "you can do this a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus per day". That's ok for single special abilities but what about big stuff like regaining all of a Monk's ki points, a Battlemaster's superiority dice or a Warlock's spells slots? They can't get away with a "reset button" that would break suspension of disbelief for large swathes of the gamer base, so they would have to define what does it take to gain those back: one action is still way too gamist, for a reasonable narrative it will need to be at the very least an amount of time that prevents regaining in the middle of combat. But then, 10 minutes or 30 minutes or an hour... you're back to having short rests at most with some discount. And short rests are alread "dialable" if you want them shorter.

Remove ads