D&D General What does D&D look like without Death on the Table?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It works fine. It’s a different vibe than traditional D&D, but there’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve run games this way, and they can be quite enjoyable. You do need to introduce some other stakes besides character death to preserve tension, but honestly that’s something DMs should probably be doing anyway.

You write a story together. Lots of great plot twists, caused by both DM and players. They interact with the world, and change it. Large overarching storylines (slowly) get influenced by the actions of the players, and meanwhile the players make or break the lives of other NPCs they meet and (quickly) change the local surroundings wherever they are.

Death is possible, but it is not the goal of the DM to give the players unlimited opportunities to die. The goal is to give them unlimited possibilities to interact with the world, and to describe that world as best as you can.

I would never allow the players to just fail a Dex save and die, because "adventuring is dangerous", and if my character would die like that I would likely step out of the campaign rather than roll a new character.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
That said: if a group decides to treat their PCs like protagonists in a longer story and effectively take the kind of unsatisfying, random death caused by bad die rolls out of the equation, what does a D&D campaign look like? If you play this way, how does it work and how does/did it go? if you don't play this way, what do you think? if you refuse to play this way, why and what are you worried about?

Thanks!
Since this is more or less how I run my own game (characters can die, but there will always be a way to bring them back--it just might be costly), I can say that the game still has plenty of excitement. Heck, for me, it actually has more!

I generally don't like to play "random death takes you out" games because they make me paranoid and disheartened. Paranoid because I'm going to be so afraid of losing my character, I'm going to never take risks, or at least never take a risk if I feel I ever have the slightest choice about it. That's boring! Players should be willing to do exciting things. Meanwhile, I get disheartened because every time I think about what I've achieved or where my character's been, there will be this haunting specter of "and next week you could lose it all, permanently, and it will all have meant nothing." That's deeply disheartening, and makes me feel like I shouldn't bother getting invested in the character. After all, if random unavoidable death is a thing, eventually it's going to happen (that's how probability works, folks!) unless I bow out, and I don't really consider that fun or interesting.

Basically, for me, character death is the least interesting stake because it terminates participation. Sure, this induces fear of loss, but I don't find that fear an enjoyable experience--I find it very unpleasant, actually. And because in the long run that loss is essentially guaranteed, I lose interest in the character. What's the point of becoming attached to something, of caring about where it's going to go, when you know where it's going and know it's (eventually) going to be unpleasant? Better to disengage and avoid the heartbreak.

With unexpected+permanent death off the table (note that it really is the combination of the two that is the issue), I can relax--and pay attention to stakes that really matter to me. The allies and friends we meet, the places we become attached to, the enemies we struggle against, the personal victories earned and personal defeats suffered: these are the things that excite me. And that's where a more narrative, "protagonistic" experience is useful. The story happens to and around the characters, and they earn their victories as well as their defeats. It's not that the Song of Thorns threatens the characters that makes them want to defeat it; it's that the Song of Thorns threatens to destroy their home and kill or corrupt their friends/family/beloveds which gives them the unshakable resolve to fight it. It's not that finding a new homeland for the Riddle-Makers will win them money or fame, but that these are my people and I must protect them. It's not that uncovering the lost fourth volume of General Khalifa al-Hamdan's Struggle and Calm will give bonuses or earn reputation, but because it is a valuable work of both philosophy and martial tactics that deserves preservation and protection. (These are all motivations my real players have had in our current game, BTW.)

The point being: with unexpected+permanent death off the table, the players have space to focus on the aspects of their story that most excite them, that they want to overcome or build up or tear down. And each such victory or defeat enriches the world, makes things that much more ripe for investment and excitement on their part. Instead of a negative feedback loop running away from undesirable consequences, it is a positive feedback loop of running toward the desirable consequences.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Tails-of-Equestria-the-Storytelling-Game.png

;)

Oofta

Legend
Even though being raised from the dead is extremely difficult in my campaign (more than just casting a spell), permanent death is still rare. If I can't tell an interesting story with threats, goals and drama without the threat of imminent death hanging over everybody's head I would want to work on improving my DMing skills.

Death is not "off the table", but I want and encourage people to get heavily invested in their characters. If a PC dies, it's the end of their story and personally, I don't see how that benefits the game especially stupid death because of a bad roll or two.

Different people play for different reasons, but death is not "fun" for me, nor does it add any enjoyment. It just means that the protagonist of the story I'm invested in dies along with their story.

nevin

Hero
I think a lot of it is determined by the game. If the players are invested enough in the world, the NPC's and thier own plans then just those things being endangered can be enough to create the tension needed for a good game. But if the players can't lose, either by dieing or letting other NPC's die or failing in thier plans or saving whatever they are trying to save then you have a game where there are no consequences and that's just boring. I don't know if I've every played in a game where death is completely off the table, but in the current campaign I play in I'd be far more upset if my players long term goals were short circuited than if my player died. Dm has used this against me many time. It makes my characters plans to build up a wizards guild for the city exciting and unsure, and that's really all death is bringing to the table.

uh... wow. Way back in my 1E days, PC permadeath happened. A lot. Especially at low levels. Of course, way back in those early days, people were still figuring out the game, and the idea of long story-driven campaign arcs wasn't really around much. The attitude, "I died? Well, that sucks. Let me roll up a new character" was pretty common..

Remove ads