D&D General What does "magic" mean? [Read carefully, you can't change your vote]

What does "magic" mean?

• Poll closed .

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
If it's not natural (whatever that means) then it's probably magic. The probably rare exceptions are why I said "almost all."

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
To my mind, Magic is essentially, the codified explanation for all of the things in any given setting that couldn't exist in the real world, its generally a 'thing' with many points of contact and many dimensions to it that have been designed to create a certain kind of world-feel and implications. The design might be explicit, like in hard magic systems, or it might be implied as is usually the case with soft magic systems. People can use it (spells, magic items) but it also exists naturally in the world (something like a dragon's naturally abilities, for instance.)

It serves to heighten one's suspension of disbelief by lubricating the impossibility of the stories with a 'rational' explanation that operates to create cause and effect, without worrying too hard about believe-ability (contrast with sci-fi, which traditionally makes small changes to the laws of physics, but tries to operate within real world ideas.)

Whats weird and interesting, is that we have 'magic' and 'Magic' lower case is things that are can be identified descriptively as magic because they exist in that 'rational explanation for the irrational' space of holding up the fantasy elements, but upper case can also be used to refer to a specific kind of magic in a world with 'competing magic systems' like psionics, which are totally magic, but aren't Magic, simply to show that its a different, competing system.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Magic to me is all supernatural stuff that isn't explicitly something outside the context of the world.

That doesn't mean that there can't be different kinds with different rules however.

jgsugden

Legend
I answered what Magic is in my setting - and I had to go with the final answer because the second to last answer, which was meant to be the broadest, said "if it couldn't happen on our real Earth, it is magic."

In my setting, there are 5 types of magic: Arcane, Divine, Nature, Psionic and Supernatural. Supernatural included Lycanthropy and Ghosts ... but it also includes Physics, Chemistry, Biology and other scientific phenomena. Gunpowder is considered Supernatural magic, as are Alchemist's fire, Fire Beetle glands, dragon breaths, and rail guns. Thus, magic is broader because some of it is what happens in our real world.

niklinna

satisfied?
"Magic" is a unique and special snowflake unconfined by these limits, let me explain why.

Because Ric Ocasek, that's why. 🎶 Summer Summer Summer 🎶

7c5a9965-25f5-489d-8e66-8e7f1fe9bea5_text.gif

Pictured- My first unsuccessful attempt to cast "Hold Person."
But hey the water walk took.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
"Magic" is whatever you need it be to make your game/setting/narrative work.

Anybody remember watching Thor? In the MCU, it was explained that what we (Earth-people) considered magic was simply technology to Asgardians.

Rules-wise, 3e actually explained these a lot better, including how they interacted. I don't remember the specifics, but things like if dispel magic could affect Supernatural abilities, or extraordinary abilities, etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases