• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Edition of D&D was your First (with fixed Poll)

Which Edition of D&D did you first play?

• Old D&D

Votes: 30 7.2%
  • Basic/Expert D&D

Votes: 212 51.1%
  • 1st ed AD&D

Votes: 71 17.1%
  • 2nd ed AD&D

Votes: 67 16.1%
  • 3rd ed D&D

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • 3.5 ed D&D

Votes: 13 3.1%

Vigilance

Explorer
Red Box D&D baby!

Then onto AD&D.

I have to admit, until recently, when I heard Diaglo rant about OD&D, I thought he was talking about Red Box lol.

That's a little embarrassing.

Still, if not for his musings on the One True Game (TM) I would have NEVER discovered OD&D, so he lived up to his destiny as the once and future king of the grognards.

Vigilance

Explorer
diaglo said:
Chainmail (1971) :p

I think it would be hilarious if you answered 2nd edition (skills and powers) for some reason.

Edit: Hey wait, this means you upgraded to a new edition once. I think the room is spinning. :confused:

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
dmccoy1693 said:
With which edition did you pop your D&D cherry? Share what edition was your first and if your planning on picking up 4E.

1st Ad&D when it was still going strong (beginning of dragonlance). then all the others.

One of the BD&D boxed sets, but I honestly don't remember which one. I didn't play in the old OD&D days, and even the BD&D took a while to catch on with me, find a group that was playing consistently, etc. Although I had played it as early as 1980 or so, I wouldn't really call myself a real player until, oh, 1987 or so, with 1e AD&D. And that only lasted for a year or two, when I got sufficiently frustrated with the whole D&D paradigm, packed it all away, didn't play anything for a few years, and then came back to the hobby when I found a friend in college who had his old Top Secret S.I. books handy.

Got on board the latte set White Wolf crowd in the mid 90s, and followed Werewolf pretty well. Still have a nice collection of stuff from 1e and 2e of Werewolf, but I dropped out again before Revised came out, and haven't even looked at NWoD. Even then, I was more buying and reading books rather than playing a lot, because I was really busy going to school full time, working full time and starting a family.

So I was floating around the hobby for years playing here and there, trying lots of games and systems, but it's fair to say that I didn't really and truly become a dyed in the wool 100% converted gamer until I started picking up d20 stuff in 2000.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Technically, I started with some late 2E basic starter set that had three small adventures in it.

Liking that, I went on and got proper D&D core rulebooks later that year, which happened to be from the first print run of 3E. I didn't even know about the edition switch, I just thought "Wow, the real game ditches that annoying THAC0 stuff and is a lot easier to run."

I voted 3E in the poll.

As I said in the othe rthread, I first played the Moldvay Basic Set (Otus cover), but my first purchased products was when my dad brought home the Moldvay Basic Set and the AD&D 1E PHB, so I ran a hybrid of both. So I put B/E on this poll.

As for 4E, well I like Saga Star Wars, so I am inclined to give it a shot, but not all the preview stuff I have seen is building enthusiasm, so I am sort of wat and see. If it came out today, I would buy it to at least read it over.

-M

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
look likes its finally fixed (answer: first owned the Otus cover basic, first played AD&D 1. charecter died after 45 minutes.)

Glyfair

Explorer
Just to clarify my selection, I started with the Holmes basic set. It didn't have an expert set continuation because it was designed to lead into AD&D (which wasn't released yet).

I picked up the white box set (which has disappeared somewhere since then). However, the rules in there were pretty arcane. The basic set, and later AD&D books, were much more approachable.

ioun_stone

First Post
I had to choose the 1st ed option, because I'm not sure what the version I started with would be called. It was a boxed set, after the original booklets but just before the 1st ed. PHB came out. The classes then were cleric, fighting man, thief and magic-user. It was for 1st to 3rd level adventurers, and many mentions were made to new options in the forthcoming Advanced D&D PHB! This was also before the Basic D&D game. Summer of '79. :cool:

an_idol_mind

Explorer
ioun_stone said:
I had to choose the 1st ed option, because I'm not sure what the version I started with would be called. It was a boxed set, after the original booklets but just before the 1st ed. PHB came out. The classes then were cleric, fighting man, thief and magic-user. It was for 1st to 3rd level adventurers, and many mentions were made to new options in the forthcoming Advanced D&D PHB! This was also before the Basic D&D game. Summer of '79. :cool:

Sounds like the Holmes basic set, which is essentially oD&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads