What happened to Archdruids, Granddruids, etc?

Felnar

First Post
I remember back in AD&D, druids were limited to like level 12 or something
the levels after that were called things like archdruid, granddruid, etc
and there was a limited number of druids allowed at each rank

is there anything like that in 3rd edition? Like for druids, wizards, or specific PrCs?

Khuxan

First Post
Felnar said:

is there anything like that in 3rd edition? Like for druids, wizards, or specific PrCs?

The closest I can think of is that there are only 12 Jade Phoenix Mages in existence at one time.

Creamsteak

Explorer
You can pretty much copy and paste the fluff into any setting you use to extrapolate it, but it's not part of the "core setting."

It's a lot like fighters gaining kingdoms and wizards getting towers from their levels. They make fine gameplay, but they are mechanically odd (why DO I get a stronghold for leveling up?). So essentially they were dropped from the core books, but people can still use them.

irdeggman

First Post
It is the "limited number of druids of higher levels" that went away for game balance.

They were the only class that had such an advancement restriction - and that is just plain wrong.

Giving higher levels specific "titles" is fluff that can be added to a specific campaign for "flavor" but the rules for having to win a battle against the character of such and such a level before being allowed to advance is just out of whack, especially if it only applies to a single class.

Doug Sundseth

First Post
irdeggman said:
They were the only class that had such an advancement restriction - and that is just plain wrong.

Monks had a similar restriction at one point -- at higher levels, there could be only one of each level in the world.

I wouldn't characterize that as "wrong", but it unnecessarily restricts a DM's ability to tailor his world's society without using house rules.

Rhun

First Post
Doug Sundseth said:
Monks had a similar restriction at one point -- at higher levels, there could be only one of each level in the world.

No only that, but I seem to recall in AD&D that in order to gain the level monks had to seek out the other monk of that level and defeat them in combat.

WarShrike

First Post
Rhun said:
No only that, but I seem to recall in AD&D that in order to gain the level monks had to seek out the other monk of that level and defeat them in combat.

Druids had to battle their way up the ranks as well.

WarShrike

Voadam

Legend
Felnar said:

Archdruids had wierd prerequisites to gaining the level and got wierd new powers at these higher levels.

The best way to simulate that in 3e is through prestige classes.

Level titles went away but again prestige classes sometimes filled this same role of title, i.e. archmage.

Remove ads