Dragonlance What Happened To The New DRAGONLANCE Trilogy?

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I was about to go and track down where Weis had commented on the first book being out next year (no one seems to know where that Amazon date came from), but Morrus did us all a solid by flexing his muscles.

(with the old Dragonlance message boards recently shut down, finding Weis’s recent comments on things takes a bit more Google-fu now)

Considering WotC fought pretty hard to prevent the publication of these novels, I doubt they have tie-in products planned.
From what I recall, wasn't their objection to something in the second novel of a trilogy? I believe they had one novel done and agreed upon before the whole legal fiasco. That being said, I could totally see previously greenlit projects now being scrapped quietly in the background.

darjr

I crit!
Considering WotC fought pretty hard to prevent the publication of these novels, I doubt they have tie-in products planned.

From what I recall, wasn't their objection to something in the second novel of a trilogy? I believe they had one novel done and agreed upon before the whole legal fiasco. That being said, I could totally see previously greenlit projects now being scrapped quietly in the background.
As far as I know It was one guy, who was quickly “resigned” while wotc fixed it.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter

I also wonder if this all has something to do with the recent "novels aren't canon" statement. In other words, "You're gonna see some Dragonlance novels come out; don't be surprised if what happens in them is never reflected in our game products."

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
Considering they just made a big deal out of how novels aren't canon anymore, I doubt they plan on tying any new Dragonlance release to the novels at this point. (Might have been the plan in the past, admittedly; but I doubt it now.)
And yet, WotC continues to publish D&D books set in the Realms, and Salvatore continues to write novels set in the Realms.

Nobody knows if WotC has plans to do a new Dragonlance game book . . . but the decision would have nothing to do with their policy on canon.

If WotC decides to go ahead with a new Dragonlance game book, they'll look at the existing canon from novels and earlier edition game books . . . . and largely stick to it, tweaking when necessary, and even possibly making a few major changes. That's how they roll with the Realms, it's how they'll roll with Dragonlance, if/when they decide to do it at all.

Jaeger

That someone better
and largely stick to it, tweaking when necessary, and even possibly making a few major changes. That's how they roll with the Realms, it's how they'll roll with Dragonlance, if/when they decide to do it at all.

I think that they'll have to make a lot of changes for a DL setting book.

They will want to make DL accommodate all the Player races in the core book at least. Probably further changes so that Orcs and other 'Iconic' D&D baddies would now exist in DL.

In my opinion the whole "Novels aren't canon anymore" was a big signal that a classic setting is getting a major facelift.

I could also be completely wrong... So there is that.

And yet, WotC continues to publish D&D books set in the Realms, and Salvatore continues to write novels set in the Realms.

Nobody knows if WotC has plans to do a new Dragonlance game book . . . but the decision would have nothing to do with their policy on canon.
I came across one of these yesterday. According to 3rd edition game accessories the Red Dragon Trading Lodge in Luskan (introduced in a computer game) went out of business, but according to Salvatore's recent novella One Eyed Jax it is still operating.

Remove ads