Dragonlance What Happened To The New DRAGONLANCE Trilogy?

I think that they'll have to make a lot of changes for a DL setting book.

They will want to make DL accommodate all the Player races in the core book at least. Probably further changes so that Orcs and other 'Iconic' D&D baddies would now exist in DL.

In my opinion the whole "Novels aren't canon anymore" was a big signal that a classic setting is getting a major facelift.
It seems to me that WotC's current approach to lore, even in their setting books, is extremely detail-light, very restriction-averse, and also very have-it-both-ways.

So while they certainly would never say, for example, "There are no orcs native to Krynn," they also probably wouldn't add orcs to the setting explicitly. They're more likely just to not talk about orcs at all, so that those who don't know about or don't like orcs' absence from the older Dragonlance lore will just assume orcs exist there (just as, say, gelatinous cubes would be assumed to exist even if the guide doesn't say so), and old-school fans will feel free to exclude them. (This applies generally but is doubly likely in the specific case of orcs, which I imagine WotC probably aren't too keen to foreground at the moment.)

On the other hand, I expect certain elements (e.g., gully dwarves) to be severely retconned. Actually I do expect a full-on timeline reboot to the War of the Lance era, but I also figure the facelift is likely to be limited mostly to sensitivity changes.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
They will want to make DL accommodate all the Player races in the core book at least. Probably further changes so that Orcs and other 'Iconic' D&D baddies would now exist in DL.
Half the point of DL was not having Orcs and gold pieces and all the standard tropes. Theros gives us an example of a current setting which doesn't use all the same standard species. So I see no reason for them to warp DL just to accommodate all the core ones.

That being said, Gully Dwarfs would definitely need a fix.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Half the point of DL was not having Orcs and gold pieces and all the standard tropes. Theros gives us an example of a current setting which doesn't use all the same standard species. So I see no reason for them to warp DL just to accommodate all the core ones.

That being said, Gully Dwarfs would definitely need a fix.
And all Kender being thieves in some form and all Gnomes being Tinker Gnomes. etc etc

Jaeger

That someone better
It seems to me that WotC's current approach to lore, even in their setting books, is extremely detail-light, very restriction-averse, and also very have-it-both-ways.

So while they certainly would never say, for example, "There are no orcs native to Krynn," they also probably wouldn't add orcs to the setting explicitly. They're more likely just to not talk about orcs at all, so that those who don't know about or don't like orcs' absence from the older Dragonlance lore will just assume orcs exist there (just as, say, gelatinous cubes would be assumed to exist even if the guide doesn't say so), and old-school fans will feel free to exclude them.

Yes, this.

You go on to describe one way WOTC can do this. I think that what you describe would be the minimum WOTC would do should DL be one of the classic settings that they adapt.

So I see no reason for them to warp DL just to accommodate all the core ones.

Just the same, there is also no reason for them not to.

DL is for all intents and purposes a dormant IP right now. And WOTC did the survey - they have far more new players than old ones now with the D&D pop-culture boom.

WOTC can do what it wants to DragonLance, and only a tiny minority will complain.

JEB

Legend
WOTC can do what it wants to DragonLance, and only a tiny minority will complain.
Dragonlance was much more popular at its peak than, say, Ravenloft. To include a following among non-gamers (the novels were New York Times bestsellers). It also has at least one notable celebrity supporter in Joe "Arkhan the Cruel" Manganiello.

While its peak was admittedly a generation ago, I still imagine there will be a decent number of folks expecting a 5E Dragonlance to meet their nostalgic hopes, and a proportionally larger number of folks complaining if those hopes are dashed.

Will it still be a minority? Probably. (Though that depends on how, and how extensively, they change things. The more extreme, the more fans they'll upset.) But I don't know if it'll be "tiny".

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Quite the opposite. They have a kitchen sink setting already, they have been putting out ones with specific flavor. Want to play a thoughtful seagoing minotaur? Krynn is the place for you. Want to play a half orc? Not so much.

Gullys can count beyond two, but only in their first languange.

My question is if the future CGI teleserie adaptation will be produced by Netflix, Disney or Paramount.

We don't know the future plans about a possible event linked to the black obelisks and that could cause a ("new") reboot of the D&D multiverse.

And some rectcons could be to can introduce some crunch elements, for example the psionic powers, or the martial adept classes with the ki maneuvers, or a secret portal in the island of the dragons to the demiplane "Io's blood islands" (Council of Wyrms setting). The crystal sphere could be totally rebooted.

And I advice to allow some space for the no-canon fan-art, for example because a game-live streaming show wishs to play an alternate Dragonlance with some changes, for example lord Soth is again the dark lord of Sithicus, but this time the dark domain isn't within demiplane of the dread but in Krynn shadowfell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases