Dragonlance What Happened To The New DRAGONLANCE Trilogy?

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
One person, who was “resigned” and the issue caused by them was resolved.

How is this now “WotC didn’t want the novels”?

They did, and fixed the issue blocking them.

You're glossing over the part where WotC broke the contract and refused to approve the drafts, and Weis & Hickman filed a $10 million lawsuit which ultimately forced WotC to relent.

"Dragonlance" Lawsuit Ends With A Whimper (and Settlement) – SpellTheory

I don't know who the "one guy" you're referring to is. I may have missed that story - do you have it?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Nobody ever went broke selling Gen X their own childhood back to them.
True dat.

There's a massive game/comic store not too far from me that exists for the purpose of selling my childhood back to me. If I lived closer to them I would basically just sign over my paycheck each week.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
You're glossing over the part where WotC broke the contract and refused to approve the drafts, and Weis & Hickman filed a $10 million lawsuit which ultimately forced WotC to relent.

I don't know who the "one guy" you're referring to is. I may have missed that story - do you have it?

I believe @darjr is referring to how that whole fiasco was apparently the fault of one WotC employee, who has since resigned, apparently due to the whole thing blowing up in their face.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I believe @darjr is referring to how that whole fiasco was apparently the fault of one WotC employee, who has since resigned, apparently due to the whole thing blowing up in their face.

I get that - I just haven't seen that report anywhere, so wondered what the source was.

WotC is small enough staff-wise that we would know exactly who this "one guy" who resigned is.

darjr

I crit!

No I’m not. That was the guy in charge of that who made that decision, along with other problematic decisions. And he quickly “resigned” after and the situation was fixed, starting from WotCs end.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
No I’m not. That was the guy in charge of that who made that decision, along with other problematic decisions. And he quickly “resigned” after and the situation was fixed, starting from WotCs end.

Who reported that, and who is "the guy"?

Nic Kelman left WotC in March. The lawsuit filing went a bit out of its way (IMHO) to point out the controversy over the publication of Kelman’s first novel, which some critics believed glorified criminal sexual behavior (edit for precision) “misogyny and pedophilia.”

Those are literally the only facts I know; I have absolutely no information about the circumstances or motives for Kelman leaving the company.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Who reported that, and who is "the guy"?
In their initial reporting about the Dragonlance lawsuit in mid-October, CBR stated:

The complaint notes that Wizards changed the editorial team for the Dragonlance trilogy in June 2020, adding Nic Kelman, whom the complaint alleges "was a controversial choice" due to questions of "misogyny and pedophilia" raised about his 2019 Girls: A Paean. After Kelman was assigned, the authors had a series of conversations surrounding "sensitivity issues" in the works in progress by Weis and Hickman, who rewrote dozens of pages to comply with Wizard's requests.

The lawsuit was later voluntarily dismissed in January, with Kelman resigning at the beginning of April.

Now, there's been no explicit linkage between those events, insofar as I'm aware, but it's not too hard to connect the dots.

(On a tangential note, CBR got the publication date of Girls: A Paean wrong. According to its Amazon page, it was published in 2004.)

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Feels plausible but far from conclusively “it was literally all just Kelman and everything’s fine now.”

I guess we’ll know when we know. But if WotC was planning any Dragonlance ttrpg products for say the next 16 months, we would have some hints/UA for it by now. Which to me says no coordinated launch with these novels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases