D&D 5E What (if anything) do you find "wrong" with 5E?

like, every monk?
No?

They get simple weapons and shortswords. Elves are proficient in longswords, but it doesn't count as a Monk weapon, so they can't use it alongside Unarmed Strike, and thus do very poorly with it unless they have a class which makes longsword a Monk weapon.

Monk weapon and proficient weapon are two different things. You literally cannot use the main DPS mechanic of a Monk when armed with a longsword (unless you're a Kensei who selected longsword or similar).

More likely it was the elf factor.
Elf makes him proficient, but doesn't make it a Monk weapon, and it's literally inferior (drastically inferior, even) to a shortsword for a Monk if it's not a Monk weapon.

EDIT - WAIT!!!

Was this post-Tasha's? Because yeah then you get Dedicated Weapon if the DM allows it. I'd forgotten that.

Horwath

Legend
No?

They get simple weapons and shortswords. Elves are proficient in longswords, but it doesn't count as a Monk weapon, so they can't use it alongside Unarmed Strike, and thus do very poorly with it unless they have a class which makes longsword a Monk weapon.

Monk weapon and proficient weapon are two different things. You literally cannot use the main DPS mechanic of a Monk when armed with a longsword (unless you're a Kensei who selected longsword or similar).
yes, longsword is from elf, and because of monks dedicated weapon(2nd level Monk) it's chosen as monk weapon.

glass

(he, him)
Tier 1 Monks
I know that "tier 1" means something very different in 5e from what it means in 3.P, but this still made me do a double take! :D :giggle: :unsure:

Its to be noted that the least successful incarnation of D&D was so not because it was badly designed, but because it violated the expectations of its extent base too much. That's not an atypical situation.
I am pretty sure the least successful edition of D&D was Holmes Basic. What expectations did it violate?

_
glass.

Remove ads