D&D 5E What is the best class for a single class only campaign?

What is the best class for a single class only campaign?

• Homebrew/Other

• Artificer

• Barbarian

• Bard

• Cleric

• Druid

• Fighter

• Monk

• Paladin

• Ranger

• Rogue

• Sorcerer

• Warlock

• Wizard

• Eric Noah is my half-fiend love child.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Quartz

Hero
I think it depends upon what sort of campaign you want to run. A group of paladins could be aspirant Knights of the Round Table, for instance. A group of fighters or barbarians could be a warband.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Now, if the rules are a bit more flexible - you have to pick "rogue-ish" characters - so you have one dex-built fighter with the criminal background, a cleric of trickery domain, etc... it's a banger of a party :)
Yes! Parties based around a theme can be tons of fun. And I think that's a more intuitive way to think about a party than one built around a "meta" characteristic like class.

I say Ranger since everyone can specialize in a different type of enemy and the campaign can cycle through those, until the last act, when a coalition of various monster types forms to finally stop this band of rampaging rangers.

aco175

Legend
I voted bard, but also think that a theme would be better and have all, fighters say, and they be part of a group to save the realm. They can always pick up some sidekicks/henchmen to fill any roles, but you may want to get away from this to prevent the sidekick from being the 'PC" the player wanted and the fighter being played more like the henchman.

To me mechanically you need
  1. Spellcasters
  2. For the majority of the party not to fold like cheap tents in melee
  3. There to be at least some subclass with decent healing or everyone to have light healing.
  4. You need a decently high DPR rather than heavy healing focus or combat turns into a snoozefest.
I see seven classes in the running: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Warlock. Clerics could do the job - but I'd find the mass healing to be a miserable experience, with druids not being much better. And for all I love the artificer I don't expect them to stack that well as their infusions will seriously overlap and not in fun ways. More damage is always good and all stealth is good - but More Mayonnaise is just running a joke into the ground.

So:

4: Paladins Against the Dark. The weakness I see with this group is the way the mechanics (in particular the fighting styles) are the way the mechanics, and in particular the fighting styles push for everyone being a melee fighter in heavy armour (and thus against stealth). I'd prefer a little more diversity.

3: Band on the Run. Thematically awesome - but the bard is not a simple class and not everyone wants to juggle that many spells.

2: Warlocks Anonymous. Thematically great, simpler to juggle than bards, and everyone's a different form of twisted.

1: The Company of Rangers. A surprise entry - but on thinking about it they have everything I want. Strong theming but not too much. Strong DPR with some healing to back it without being overhealing. Decent melee and range. The possibility for an all stealth party. Strong subclasses with significant variety. You've the Fey Wanderer as a face, and plenty of ways of roguery.

This surprised me a lot; I really was expecting either Bard or Warlock

ECMO3

Hero
Interesting, I think Rogue would be the best considering the variety of builds and subclasses available. I think Cleric and Bard would be the next two.

I am also surprised that Paladin is as high as it is. I think I would put Paladin dead last.

Here is who I would want:
1: hexblood arcane trickster (AT for shield/absorb elements), tavern brawler, grappler, medium armor, fighter adept (unarmed fighting). 18str/14con/14Dex (level 12) half-plate, expertise in athletics, acrobatics, perception, stealth, green flame blade, lots of oil. Turn 1 hex and GFB attack (hopefully SA). round 2 hit with oil vial (improvosed weapon) and bonus action grapple. Round 3+ GFB with advantage (burning oil in process). Alternate option is shadowblade when not using oil. Also have a mage hand to put oil on other enemies as a BA while one enemy is grappled. Expertise in stealth largely counters disadvantage due to armor.

2. Human arcane trickster: fey touched, shadow touched, magic adept (guidance, healing word, spare the dying), ASI-intelligence 20 int/16 dex (level 12). This guy actually makes crown of madness usefull by casting it on the guy player #1 has grappled. Best part is he can't break the grapple because he uses his action to attack one of his allies every turn. uses missiles or a rapier/BB when not spell casting. expertise Arcana, Investigation, perception, history.

3. Wood Elf scout: sharpshooter, ASI, elven accuracy, piercer. Expertise stealth, perception, insight, animal handling, nature, survival. This is a ranged attacker who is also your scout and your guide. 20 dex at level 8. You want sharpshooter for the bonus to range and ignoring cover

4. human swashbuckler: actor, ASI, ASI, shadow touched (disguise self), magic adept (presti, BB, detect magic). 18dex/20ch level 12. expertise in deception, persuasion, intimidation, SOH

5. Mountain Dwarf phantom: ASI ASI ASI ASI d20/W18/I16/ch12 level 12, expertise in religion, medicine, thieves tools, perception.

In a high magic campaign I might go with a thief instead of a phantom as #5.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'm surprised that there's so few votes for fighters. Their super flexibility and staying power in a campaign that allows feats is really powerful and allows for a lot of different concept.

• Battlemaster Sword n Board + Interception FS + Inspiring Leader + Healer + Chef as the Quarter Master
  • Rune Knight Defensive FS+ Ritual Caster + Magic Initiate as the Mage
  • Psi-Knight Halberdier + Telekinetic + Telepathic as the Mystic
  • Champion Throwing daggers + Delver + Skill Mastery as the Rogue
  • Arcane Archer + Alertness + Keen Mind + Observant as the Sharpshooter

I voted for warlock. The darkness /devil sight combo for a whole crew is pretty sweet. Toss in multiple cloud of daggers spells for some epic ping pong damage via eldritch blast with forced movement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases