D&D 5E What is your current way to roll stats

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Every table at the store where I play uses Point Buy, but i'm itching to start a game using the 4d6 method. Point Buy is the default because of AL.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I think I'm going to move to using the member here who developed the random point buy system (I'd link, but it's only saved on my laptop not work computer). I'll generate 20 random legit point buys and then roll once. That's it.

No power creep, and still uses the randomness to help inspire new character concepts.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
For the 5e game I'm running, we rolled 4d6 drop lowest 6 times. They they rolled it 7th time with an option of either replacing one of their first 6 with that 7th roll, or tossing the whole kit and kaboodle (if weak all around) and rolling 6 more stats and keeping them. They then order as desired.

I've also run games with players rolling 2 sets of 6 stats on 4d6 drop lowest and then picking which whole set they prefer.

Miladoon

First Post
I think I'm going to move to using the member here who developed the random point buy system (I'd link, but it's only saved on my laptop not work computer). I'll generate 20 random legit point buys and then roll once. That's it.

No power creep, and still uses the randomness to help inspire new character concepts.

Does that method include putting the scores where you want them or is the order set?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
My current option in 5E, is to let them roll pairs of stats six times, in order. Then they choose a high stat from the pair and then they have to choose a low stat from another pair.

Interesting. I like that. I'm going to have to save that for potential future use.

In my games, I use choice of standard array or roll.

If you roll, you use what you get - no switching to standard array if you get a bad result. It's a roleplaying opportunity - use it.

If they get a really high set of scores, I have no problem with it. They're not going to break my game.

For rolling, I use 4d6 - reroll all 1's and the first 2 - take the three highest. Assign to ability you want (not required to assign in order).

However, I might just present your idea as an optional rolling system next time.

Miladoon

First Post
Interesting. I like that. I'm going to have to save that for potential future use.

In my games, I use choice of standard array or roll.

If you roll, you use what you get - no switching to standard array if you get a bad result. It's a roleplaying opportunity - use it.

If they get a really high set of scores, I have no problem with it. They're not going to break my game.

For rolling, I use 4d6 - reroll all 1's and the first 2 - take the three highest. Assign to ability you want (not required to assign in order).

However, I might just present your idea as an optional rolling system next time.

I would like to know how that turns out. One interesting nuance is, if you roll the same two numbers for a pair, you get to use that as one of your low choices.

For the longest time I was a fan of 4d6 drop the lowest. But now I swear by the Standard Array method. It makes people make tough decisions on their stats, and completely eliminates cheating without me needing to watch everyone roll their dice.

Remove ads