D&D 5E What is your favorite dip?

JonnyP71

Explorer
Ugh 'dip'

Horrible term for a horrible way to play the game.

Multiclass for flavour/story purposes or not at all.

(just my opinion of course, other opinions are available...)

Lanliss

Explorer
Ugh 'dip'

Horrible term for a horrible way to play the game.

Multiclass for flavour/story purposes or not at all.

(just my opinion of course, other opinions are available...)

I agree, and my current character happened through story. I apologize of "dip" implied that I only meant multiclassing for optimization. I just meant that I personally like being able to run a competent solo finesse character.

To put it a different, more story focused, way, is there a trend in the characters you have most enjoyed playing, a specific class or weapon that showed up more often?

Oofta

Legend
Personally, I like a basic ranch dip. I know a lot of people who prefer something cheesy and my wife likes this disgustingly sweet white concoction which I think is some combination of whipped cream and dressing. Don't even get me started on salsa. :mad:

I'll second Rogue 2. Even though it's not a multiclass combination I often use, it's still one that appeals greatly to me on an aesthetic level because it offers such unique capabilities that synergize well with both spellcasters and warriors: Stealth/Athletics Expertise, Cunning Action (Hide/Dash/Disengage). The game is far more interesting because Rogue 2 exists. Therefore it is my favorite.

(And it's pretty cheap too, all things considered. Only Fighter 1 and Barbarian 1 are cheaper.)

Alatar

First Post
I'm going to claw my way to Fighter 3 with my rather unhinged LG Death Cleric. Functionally, that gets me Fleet of Foot, Second Wind and Action Surge and a +1 to AC. Thematically, it gets me Commander's Strike and Maneuvering Attack. But fun-wise, it gives me a some tactical tools, some fiddley bits for my medium armor, Mobile based, melee combat medic.

He's going to be a very tactile, hands-on guy. He'll do all his healing with his hands, and much of his hurting with his hands as well, the hands he used to throttle his undead children. Cure Wounds and Inflict Wounds. Lesser Restoration and Vampiric Touch. Channel Divinity ~ Touch of Death. And the occasional bout of chittering madness.

That's the concept that has yet to meet the enemy. I'll probably end up using almost all my spell slots for cures for the first half of the campaign, because that is what need will likely dictate. So I'll wield a finesse weapon just to be somewhat useful when heals aren't needed or have all been expended. I'll also need a weapon for Divine Strike and the very situational Maneuvering Attack.

Speaking more generally, taking three levels of fighter to get to Battle Master may be a worthwhile gambit in various circumstances. It increases the characters hardiness at Fighter 1, gives him a nova round at Fighter 2, and set of tactical tools at Fighter 3.

Most people dipping into fighter will probably stop at levels 1 or 2, but the Battle Master archetype brings a lot of utility. Battle Master really shines with a Strength build, but it works with a Dexterity build as well. There is a wide enough assortment of useful maneuvers to go either way. And if you enjoy tactical play, the Battle Master is fun.

hejtmane

Explorer
I do not have a favorite; I prefer to get a concept down then build that character to meet that vision and maximize dpr within the concept. I may skip a class even though it help the dpr because while it does not fit the theme.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Back in 3.5 a lot of my characters multiclassed rogue for a level or two simply because of the enormous list of class skills and the fact that it gave you enough points to acquire some of those extra skills at a level high enough to actually be useful. Particularly if you started as a 1st level rogue and then switched to the main class.
It was easy to provide a fluff reason to gain a level of rogue since that skill set could be acquired in a multitude of ways, and the parts of the class that weren't necessarily in tune with your character were fairly easy to ignore.

Even in 5th Ed. it's still a decent way to add some extra utility to your character, although it's now much easier to bolt on various elements of "Rogue-lite" (stealth, lockpicking, etc) onto your character through backgrounds and such...

Last edited:

Remove ads