D&D 5E What is your favorite dip?

I'm not crazy about multi classing just to grab class features. If my character has a good reason to change careers, it's going to be a permanent decision, and no going back.

That being said, my former BladeLock character found himself at the end of his journey once he got to level 12 as a Warlock; there was no way for him to improve his skill with Pact Blade. So he switched to Rogue/Swashbuckler and the results were awesome.

Xeviat

Hero
Barring story reasons not to, if you know where the campaign is going to end, Rogue 3 can be a great addition to a light or ranged weapon user. The rogue has the advantage of getting more damage every other level, not every sixish levels. Then again, the character I'm waiting to play is a swashbuckling paladin, and I'm planning her as Rogue 4/Paladin X for many reasons.

But you can aim your character's background and story to do anything you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lanliss

Explorer
I've also been looking at swashbuckler 3 for an AL Bladelock build.

How many levels of it did you take?

It was planned for a 1:1 game, and my DM wanted me to build a 6th level character, so only 3 of each so far. Looking at the abilities, I think I will be going Swashbuckler 8/Warlock 12 by the end of it, if I survive that long. It is a fun pairing to play with, between them both having flexible storylines and mechanics that mesh well.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I haven't multiclassed in 5e, but probably fighter and probably more than just a 1 or 2 level dip. This comes from my 2e days, especially in the baldur's gate/icewind dale games but also the tabletop games where I was actually a player, where I would make either an elven fighter/mage or a dual class human fighter/mage. I guess in the case of the human, it really was a dip since I rarely went more than 2-3 levels as a fighter before swapping over to mage. Other fighter combos I enjoyed were the elven fighter/mage/thief, dwarf fighter/cleric, and a half-elf fighter/thief which I styled as an assassin.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm not crazy about multi classing just to grab class features. If my character has a good reason to change careers, it's going to be a permanent decision, and no going back.
I realize the term "dip" conjures up an image of scooping down and then going back up (to your mouth :p), but prohibiting you from changing "back" doesn't really prevent many dips.

In fact, most dips mean you start with another class than the one you plan on taking many levels in. After the one, two or three levels in that class, you switch to your "main" class. You don't need to go back.

The stark reality is that the issue is one of perception. The exact same multiclassing can be framed as an atmospheric character choice done entirely out of story and personality... and also as a coldly calculated min-maxing move.

They simply are indistinguishable, meaning you can't use mechanics to ban one but not the other.

If you want to allow character-driven multiclassing as a means to better express your character, but not allow charop-driven multiclassing as a means for better DPR, you can't solve that with purely mechanical rules (such as "you can only MC two classes" or "once you've switched classes you can't go back"). You need to talk to your players.

I realize the term "dip" conjures up an image of scooping down and then going back up (to your mouth :p), but prohibiting you from changing "back" doesn't really prevent many dips.

In fact, most dips mean you start with another class than the one you plan on taking many levels in. After the one, two or three levels in that class, you switch to your "main" class. You don't need to go back.

The stark reality is that the issue is one of perception. The exact same multiclassing can be framed as an atmospheric character choice done entirely out of story and personality... and also as a coldly calculated min-maxing move.

They simply are indistinguishable, meaning you can't use mechanics to ban one but not the other.

If you want to allow character-driven multiclassing as a means to better express your character, but not allow charop-driven multiclassing as a means for better DPR, you can't solve that with purely mechanical rules (such as "you can only MC two classes" or "once you've switched classes you can't go back"). You need to talk to your players.

I think you misunderstand me, Cap. I was speaking of a personal preference for my own characters only, not about what I "ban" or "allow" when I'm running a game. I'm not one of those "OneTrueWay-ists" who insists on telling others how to play D&D.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
If it am Multi-classing, I will get on board with the Fighter 2 or Rogue 2.

My fighter rogue (thug/hitman) grappler is still one of my most favorite characters. Made this way for mechanics and story/backstory purposes. I think that is when I enjoy it most. You can still craft this mechanically sound character, without sacrificing any story, but instead building upon it.

Vymair

First Post
Mutli-class characters are pretty infrequent in the games I play in. I can think of 4 of the ~30 characters we'd created in the games I've played in that were multiclass. Only one of those was a dip (2war/8sor), most have been true 50/50 splits.

Remove ads