D&D 5E What is your least favorite class in 5E?

What is your least favorite class in 5E?

• Artificer

Votes: 56 28.6%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Bard

Votes: 30 15.3%
  • Cleric

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • Druid

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Fighter

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • Monk

Votes: 60 30.6%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Ranger

Votes: 34 17.3%
  • Rogue

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 51 26.0%
  • Warlock

Votes: 24 12.2%
  • Wizard

Votes: 13 6.6%

Why?

You could then stretch that definition to any class if you really wanted to. Well, maybe not for fighters and rogues, they are too generic.
The other classes have safety in numbers; they all feel at home in a similar set of quasi-Euro, pseudo-medieval adjacent settings that seem natural to a game that is called Dungeons and Dragons and incorporates other system mechanics like the spells and standard equipment. Certainly no class belongs everywhere, but I can certainly sympathize with the argument that the kung-fu ask of Monks or the magitech ask of Artificers are more eccentric in terms of overall setting aesthetics than the other classes.

Of course personally I find Clerics the most demanding class of a setting. They tend to expect you to provide them with a whole pantheon of gods. That's really much more demanding than just conceding that "okay, so you're like the one crazy inventor in this world" or "alright, I guess there is some sort of kung-fu monastery on some distant part of the map".

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Votes coming along as expected.

As for the monk...I would have voted for them before, but having seen a couple in play, they can be fun. A little underpowered overall, but fun potential is there.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
But what about the Psion.
Psionics, as fans have made pretty clear, needs to be a non-spellcasting class, that still has resources and mechanics to its supernatural behavior. I actually quite liked the Mystic they playtested, for example, and was very sad they abandoned it rather than trying to iterate more.

Then again, I was also sad that they utterly abandoned the playtest Sorcerer (which was an awesome, transforming mixed spellcaster, with a struggling-with-the-power-in-your-soul theme) and Warlock (which, while admittedly less well-developed, had the super interesting mechanic of having to actually sacrifice something for each "boon"--Invocation, as we'd call it now--granted). But the arbitrary popularity threshold said those things couldn't be allowed to stand, so they were axed, along with all the cool ACTUAL differentiation they brought with them.

I'm going to go with Sorcerer.
It is slightly redundant as an Arcane Caster
It's full on redundant as a CHA based caster.
A lot of their subclasses have problems.
A Warlock would make a better "I have magic in my blood and that causes me to have supernatural powers" character than a Sorcerer would from a mechanical standpoint (Invocations are way better than metamagic for that invoking that kind of playstyle).
And finally, the thing that puts it over the edge against lackluster classes (like the Monk): The existence of the Sorcerer, and people trying to preserve it's toes, have shot down interesting potential subclasses from UA.

That last thing is really the main reason for me. Monks might be bad, but at least they haven't stopped Barbarians and Fighters from getting their own twists on Unarmed Fighting.
If you want to complain about the Sorcerer being boring and too similar to other classes, you have only the fanbase to blame. Wizards tried to do something new. Too many people shouted it down, so they dropped it like a hot rock.

The other classes have safety in numbers; they all feel at home in a similar set of quasi-Euro, pseudo-medieval adjacent settings that seem natural
Yeah...gonna stop you right there. This is, quite literally, just "because the others are more traditional." Tradition as an argument isn't particularly persuasive. "We do this because it's what we've always done" would mean there should never have been a Cleric or Thief class, because the only truly traditional classes are Fighting-Man and Magic-User. Further, what "seems natural" to you may be WILDLY different from what "seems natural" to others. Why should your--and only your--perception of what "seems natural" be promoted to "what goes for everyone?"

And yes, I know this is a thread about personal preferences. I'm not going to argue if someone's honest opinion is "because I just don't want it, and I was asked what things I wouldn't want." De gustibus non disputandum est. But I don't really cotton to the notion that (for example) "person who makes difficult, magically-binding bargains with eldritch beings" is anywhere near as generic as you're painting it, let alone some of the particularly niche things like Druids, Bards, or Paladins. If we're gonna talk about opinions, we should present them as opinions.

Of course personally I find Clerics the most demanding class of a setting. They tend to expect you to provide them with a whole pantheon of gods. That's really much more demanding than just conceding that "okay, so you're like the one crazy inventor in this world" or "alright, I guess there is some sort of kung-fu monastery on some distant part of the map".
But...they get approved for inclusion, despite being more disruptive than these other things, because...?

Last edited:

LoganRan

Explorer
I selected three classes: Artificer, Bard and Monk.

As pointed out upthread, Artificers and Monks just don't "feel" right in the vision of D&D in my head. I'm not a fan of "crossing streams" in my games and Artificers feel like a mix of fantasy and sci-fi. Monks are obviously based purely on the Asian version of the concept rather than the cloistered, book-ish monks of Europe, and, therefore, also "feel" out of place to me (note: this opinion dates all the way back to 1E).

Finally, I am fine with the concept of bards but do not like the execution of the class in 5E. My primary beef is having them be full casters since bards are supposed to be "jack of all trades, master of none". If I wanted to play a bard-like character in 5E, I would probably go with an Arcane Trickster rogue with a proficiency in singing or storytelling. That would be much closer to my conception of the class.

Thematically the sorcerer. It's just awesome. However I find sorcerers as fun to play as filing taxes.

Warlock is my favourite mechanically (and what I picked for the poll). Invocations provide so much customisation, while the pacts basically give you an entire second subclass. And the themes overlap with sorcerer a lot.

Favourite class not in 5e, which I grumble about not being in 5e endlessly, is the swordmage. Teleporting round the battlefield while wreathing your sword in flame, encasing it in ice, or setting it crackling with lightning was a level of awesome which 5e just doesn't come close to.

Edit: Ignore me, I read the title wrong.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I voted:

1. Cleric. They seem redundant in 5e when we have Paladins and Celestial Pact Warlocks, which each fulfill part of a cleric's purpose and role and do it more interestingly.

2. Bard. These should be half-casters with spellbooks so they can add to their lore and capabilities. Kneecapping them with the "spells known" mechanic is a flavor-killer for me.

3. Wizards. At the table they all play the same because there's no real distinction from one "specialization" to the next. I would love to see discrete spell lists for each subclass, with minimal overlap. Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperboria got wizard subclasses and spell lists exactly right, and I wish WotC could follow that example.

Tallifer

Hero
My favourite roleplaying persona is some sort of Paladin, so I have never enjoyed roleplaying the Thief or Rogue in any edition.

Remove ads