What Licensed RPG Do You Wish Existed But Doesn't?

The Locked Tomb by Tamsyn Muir. No, Thirsty Sword Lesbians does not count. I want lesbian necromancers in space, thank you. But seriously rules for playing a necromancer and they’re cavalier, or a member of the cohort, choosing your house and your place within it. Ugh. Yes pls. I’d be torn between the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth houses. Or Ninth, just to be maximally goth and sad.
Yeah this is a setting begging for a custom game with mid-crunch rules and a formalized deal with either a player controls both (Ars Magica style) or different players control each and have rules for being bonded with each other.

Oh and game-setting-wise, one I'm surprised no-one has mentioned yet, Leigh Bardugo's Grishaverse (Shadow and Bone, Six of Crows, etc.), which is a very game-able setting in a sort of similar era (and sometimes vibe) to Dishonored, with a large variety of different magically-empowered, extremely normally competent/lucky, or otherwise fancy individuals, including even combat cyborgs (!!!) and at least two (possibly more) different magic systems, one of which is basically forms of psionics ("The Small Science"), not entirely unlike Aeon/Trinity, the other of which is actual reality-breaking magic-magic (and which is much rarer and more badguy-ish). They're also at a tech level where repeating firearms exist (but are defeated by a lot of the magic) and there are tanks, planes, even (minor spoilers for a late book) floating sea-fortress superweapons and so on.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas

overgeeked

B/X Known World
There is also an obscure, fan-made Thundarr rpg:
Nice. But yeah, there are a dozen or so close enough games out there. Mutant Crawl Classics, Masters of Umdaar (Fate), DCC: Empire of the East, on and on. Great cartoon. Love me some science-fantasy.

Davies

Legend
Narnia. Lemme play a mouse swashbuckler pls and thanks.
What a fascinating idea! All sorts of Talking Beasts, humans, dwarves, centaurs, dryads, and more! (And some of the humans might be from Earth.)
Technically has been licensed, though it was for a series of Choose Your Own Narnian Adventure books with some game-like elements, as I recall.
It feels like there should have been a Myth Adventures RPG, with Phil Foglio art and everything. I can imagine something having come out in the early 90s, or even early 00s as a d20 system game.
Aahz and Skeeve were statted up for the RoleAids module Wizards.

Remove ads