WotC What MTG/D&D crossover material would you want to see?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm a non-MTG players, so all I know about that stands out to me is Eldraine, as a chivalric/fairy tale setting sounds great to me.

But what other MTG content would you like to see WotC release as D&D products in the future? What settings are both appealing and different enough from existing D&D content to make WotC likely to do so? Monster books? Spellbooks? Something else?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Perhaps not different enough to warrant a setting, but I'd love Dominaria to be released as one. The art of Dominaria has enough info to run it and there was a planeshift article, but I'd like to see a fully fleshed out campaign. You could have the main setting which is the current timeline (perhaps set before the recent phyrexian invasion) then a supplement with info on the brothers war, and the later ice age. It could even have stats for the weatherlight, the MtG equivalent of a spelljammer.

A Dominaria campaign setting book, a good npc codex, and a bad npc book (like pathfinder's villain codex). If they really want to wow me, they can make a Dominaria monster book as well as a Dominaria magic item book (with D&D stats for ABU artifacts).

They could do yearly releases and have an Arabian Nights campaign setting, monster book and magic item book the next year. Legends, Ice Age, Urza's block, Mirrodin block, zendikar block, and Innistrad block could also get the same treatment.

I think it could sell well because some people love monster books, other people love new gear/magic items, still others love setting books with new player options in them.

I think that in order for it to really be profitable, wotc would need to design these books similar to their 3.5 books, where everybody had a different reason to pick up the new splat that week.

There could be themed minis of important characters and legendary monsters. Imagine a Teferi planeswalker mini or a gargantuan Nicol Bolas mini.

Battlemaps of famous mtg locations, like Tolarian academy.

Adventures based on card lore or the novels, run similar to 1e 'tournament style' (i.e., one person plays Jace, the other plays Garruk, etc, instead of everybody's regular pcs).

There is a lot of ip that could be mined and turned into high quality D&D product.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Perhaps not different enough to warrant a setting, but I'd love Dominaria to be released as one. The art of Dominaria has enough info to run it and there was a planeshift article, but I'd like to see a fully fleshed out campaign. You could have the main setting which is the current timeline (perhaps set before the recent phyrexian invasion) then a supplement with info on the brothers war, and the later ice age. It could even have stats for the weatherlight, the MtG equivalent of a spelljammer.
Some sort of Weatherlight Campaign book could be tight. Kind of surprised we aren't getting that for Magic's 30th, but what are you gonna do?

@Whizbang Dustyboots Eldraine feels like a very natural tie-in, that would cover ground undertravelled by D&D (both fairy tale tropes and chivalrous romance). Thoughts on some other as yet un-D&D-ified Magic stuff:

- Kamigawa was a big hit last ywar: it repurchased an old fairly basic "Fantasy Feudal Japan" sett8ng to make a Cyberpunk Eberron style Setting, and would be a col place to Adventure in.

- Tarkir actually got called out in Fizban's, because it is a dragon dominayed Setting, but would be a cool change of pace offering a Medival Central Asian Setting with neat stuff like dog-headed people and dragon trained martial artists. Unlike a lot of Asian fantasy Settings, there a number of cultures represented, and each is complex.

- Kaldheim is Norse mythology with the serial numbers filed off and replaced with trademarkavle IP, but it does a great job creating space for various D&D styled cultures.

Last edited:

Those two would make a lot of sense to me, and would be a way to redress the wrongs of Oriental Adventures.

- Kamigawa was a big hit last ywar: it repurchased an old fairly basic "Fantasy Feudal Japan" sett8ng to make a Cyverpunk Wberron style Setting, and would be a col place to Adventure in.

- Tarkir actually got called out in Fizban's, because it is a dragon-ce trick Setting, but would be a cool change of pace offering a Medival Central Asian Setting with neat stuff like dog-headed people and dragon trained martial artists. Unlike a lot of Asian fantasy Settings, there a number of cultures represented, and each is complex.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Kamigawa is cool as hell and I’d love to have magic cyberpunk in D&D.

Eldraine is awesome for all the reason others have said.

Zendikar is a great way to do soemthing a little different with aberrations and has ruins and extreme geography that could be really fun. Reminds me of the Deathgate Cycle.

Ikoria would be amazing, especially as an adventure with a side of setting book like CoS or Dragonlance, with a premise of fending off titanic kaiju and trying to find and do soemthing about whatever is causing them to rampage more than usual. D&D shadow of the colossus, where the monster is the terrain challenge, and no number of fireballs from a distance will win the day. Can really go all out with the powerful PCs, as well, or introduce mechanics for gathering allies and working in tandem/leading a large group to take down an otherwise impossible threat.

More than any of those, a Weatherlight campaign in a MtG multiverse where travel through the Blind Eternities has been made possible again for such vessels, with famous Planeswalkers needing the help of a group without the spark.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Mirrodin, whether before or after the full Phyrexia takedown.

Kamigawa!

Other settings aren't that different from existing stuff. Ok, the Zendikar stuff could be expanded, and Ixalan has its thing -though I'm not that interested on it- Beyond that, everything overlaps.

Remove ads