D&D 5E What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 87 72.5%
  • Eberron

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Ravnica

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Theros

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Strixhaven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exandia

Votes: 18 15.0%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Van Richten's for Ravenloft was not a revisit. As plenty of people discussed and agreed to in other threads, including you, I think, Ravenloft was one of the three classic settings they said were being updated for 5E. I am pretty sure one of the WotC folks even tweeted this too.
Sure, but that doesn't mean that when Winninger, nearly a year later, teases five projects on the docks, he isn't thinking of a comparison similar to that. A Forgotten Realms revisit is the most likely reading, but a Greyhawk book is not a priori something to be dismissed when speculating for the D&D Studio's longterm plans, and any Greyhawk Setting book could be easily termed a revisit due to the extensive coverage in Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that when Winninger, nearly a year later, teases five projects on the docks, he isn't thinking of a comparison similar to that. A Forgotten Realms revisit is the most likely reading, but a Greyhawk book is not a priori something to be dismissed when speculating for the D&D Studio's longterm plans, and any Greyhawk Setting book could be easily termed a revisit due to the extensive coverage in Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

Well, considering WotC continues to claim that the Realms are not the core setting for 5E, and that it is the multiverse, or however they phrased it, then going by those standards, the revisit could just as easily be Planescape, with as many mentions and appearances can connect to that. And if Planescape is not a Classic updated, that opens up another spot for another old setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, considering WotC continues to claim that the Realms are not the core setting for 5E, and that it is the multiverse, or however they phrased it, then going by those standards, the revisit could just as easily be Planescape, with as many mentions and appearances can connect to that. And if Planescape is not a Classic updated, that opens up another spot for another old setting.
But Planescape hasn't had a full-on Gazateer within a book: Greyhawk has.

But Planescape hasn't had a full-on Gazateer within a book: Greyhawk has.

I still agree with a lot of other people here who think that WotC will not just put out "generic Fantasy land #2", which is all Greyhawk will be to the masses of newer players that 5E has attracted. And it does not matter whether those newer players use the Realms or Exandria, why would they want another one?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I still agree with a lot of other people here who think that WotC will not just put out "generic Fantasy land #2", which is all Greyhawk will be to the masses of newer players that 5E has attracted. And it does not matter whether those newer players use the Realms or Exandria, why would they want another one?
I do think they will re-do Greyhawk eventually, for the 50th anniversary probably: but Ghosts of Saltmarsh is enough to make it a candidate for a "revisit" in 5E.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Because the OP rigged the poll. Putting your preferred option first and the strongest competitors last is a well known method. As is refusing to include the most likely alternative - Greyhawk.
This is true: Forgotten Realms is still probably what is being talked about by Winninger, though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Now Exandria is ruled out I would say there are three options - FR, Greyhawk, Feywild - with FR just ahead. But with two of those barred from the poll...

Edit: Probably can't rule out Ravenloft - they could do another CoS style adventure there.
I'd say the Feywild is a pretty solid candidate for one of the new Settinfs being worked on: the Beyond the Witchlight material looks like a solid basis for a whole brand new Setting.

Because the OP rigged the poll. Putting your preferred option first and the strongest competitors last is a well known method. As is refusing to include the most likely alternative - Greyhawk.
That doesn't make sense, and nor does the point @Parmandur made re: Saltmarsh.

Why?

Because Winninger didn't call the Ravenloft book a "revisit", but rather one of the "Classic" settings they were bringing back. So GH may yet reappear, because TSR and WotC have both shown a totally irrational obsession with making Greyhawk happen over the last 30 years, despite the fact that every single attempt (no exceptions) has proven a failure, but it will be as one of the "Classic" settings.

It's clear Winninger sees essentially four categories of setting book: Classic setting, Revisit to existing 5E setting, New setting (MtG-based), and New setting (non-MtG-based). GH would be the first, just as Ravenloft was.
I'd say the Feywild is a pretty solid candidate for one of the new Settinfs being worked on: the Beyond the Witchlight material looks like a solid basis for a whole brand new Setting.
I've had more than one player ask why there isn't a Feywild setting book, or at least a book full of information/art about it, so that would make a lot of sense.

Remove ads