Votes: 30 17.8%
  • Wilden

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 104 61.5%

• Poll closed .

CM

Adventurer
Human, Elf, Eladrin, Drow, Half-Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling, Half-Orc, Goliath, Dragonborn, Tiefling, Aasimar. Describe their culture in generic terms, not specific places like 4e tried to do for some races with its PoL setting.

Keep the strong half-elf of 4e too, please.

Once you start moving away from small- or medium-sized humanoids, I think it gets a little too "out there" for the core.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Human (Normal-Barbarian), Dwarf (Hill-Mountain), Elf (High-Wood-Fair-Arctic), Gnome, Hobbit, Half-Elf (or Part-Elf), Half-Orc (or Part-Orc). Stop there.

Annoying that Part-Orc and Orc are the same selection; I voted for it for Part-Orc but I don't want full Orc as a core race.

Lanefan

Dwarf, elf, half-elf, gnome, halfling, human, half-orc. Anything else can be optional.

This (although I am quite keen on the elf/eladrin split, if not the name), won't bother voting co you missed a fair bit, I think try again:
half elves
dwarves
half orcs (on their own, orcs are different)

thewok

First Post
My choices are: Human, Drow, Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Gnome, Half Elf, Half Orc, Halfling and Tiefling.

However, I wouldn't mind it if eladrin, drow and "elf" were all collapsed into the "elf" category, as an example of a race with subraces. I like how the elf was separated into two distinct races in 4E. It made a lot of sense to me, as I had come to the same conclusion as the devs on my own. I do not want to see them mashed back together into a single, general, bland elf race.

I am firmly in the "if it's been core, it needs to remain core" camp.

Tallifer

Hero
That aside, Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling. Anything else can get reduced writeups in the PHB, or be detailed in the monster manual or a supplement, or ignored. Let's get the basics right before throwing any of this other stuff in.

That only sounds like the Red Starter Box. I concede that the Starter Box should be simple and Old School.

The Players' Handbook however should be released almost simultaneously and should be more like an Advanced Players' Handbook with about a dozen races and classes.

Then right from the beginning, the reductionists, children, new players and Old Schoolers can have their simple Red Box of four races, four classes and few options; while the experienced players, teenagers, the 4thers and 3rders, and the lovers of variety can have some interesting options from the beginning without needing to wait six months for a Supplement. The Advanced Book can be 500 pages like Pathfinder, because people who only want a slim book can buy the 60 page Starter Book.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Jack of all Trades: Humans as the mundane, adaptable race

Glass Cannon: Elves
as the fragile speedy accurate race (Speed+Offense)

Mighty Glacier: Dwarves
as the slow, tough, and powerful race (Offense+Defense)

Brick Wall: Halflings
as the weak but evasive race (Speed+Defense)

Lightning Bruiser: Orcs or Half Orcs
as the strong but dumb race (Offense+Defense+Speed- Versatility)

Special: Dragonborns
are the fire breathers (Breath weapon)

Lethal Joke: Gnomes
as the magical race(natural illuionists)

The Ken Masters/Luigi: Half-Elves/Changeling are average but different than humans (Alternate Jack of all Tades)

Somebloke

First Post
Human
Half elf
Elf
Eldarin (I thought the split made sense)
Tiefling/Aasimar (would not object to see these made into a single 'planetouched' race)
Half-orc
Hafling
Shifter
Warforged
Dwarf
Dragonborn

Remove ads