D&D General What rule do you hate most from any edition? (+ Thread)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
but why do we need to be 3rd or 8th level? why not just a master chief?
Because that's how NPCs roll in 3/3.5/PF. Why would the book have 20th level commoners in it if they weren't a thing?

"Holy cats! Did you see that lone peasant (52hp, BAB +10/+5) take on that young knight? How did they become that skilled?"
"They took their farming very seriously and are the best at it in the world! You should see the retired master Blacksmith over in the next kingdom!"

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Because that's how NPCs roll in 3/3.5/PF. Why would the book have 20th level commoners in it if they weren't a thing?

"Holy cats! Did you see that lone peasant (52hp, BAB +10/+5) take on that young knight? How did they become that skilled?"
"They took their farming very seriously and are the best at it in the world! You should see the retired master Blacksmith over in the next kingdom!"
See, I actually really like the NPC classes. The grizzled local could actually put up a bar fight without having to have been a retired adventurer or be a 0-level nobody. They probably just didn't really need to go to level 20. But level 10? Sure. Reasonably good way to stat out formidable Farmer Maggot from Fellowship of the Ring.
In any event, it was a worthy transitional step from 0-level NPCs as the norm to NPC stats built to suit the situation in later editions.

3.0 psionics based on physical ability scores. I'll just metamorphose into something scary and now nothing can stop my Disintegrate power. On the other side of the power scale, needing one ability score per discipline (other classes didn't have that problem).

Psionic combat was also badly designed, but wouldn't come up if you were the only psychic around, so it's not quite as bad.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
See, I actually really like the NPC classes. The grizzled local could actually put up a bar fight without having to have been a retired adventurer or be a 0-level nobody. They probably just didn't really need to go to level 20. But level 10? Sure. Reasonably good way to stat out formidable Farmer Maggot from Fellowship of the Ring.
In any event, it was a worthy transitional step from 0-level NPCs as the norm to NPC stats built to suit the situation in later editions.
I just want to know what level goes with a 30 years of experience (and some vague level of success) in my field so I can see how tough I should act at the next in person happy hour! :)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Darkvision.
I'll use memes to explain why.

1642699725955.png

1642699780156.png

1642699744468.png

1642699792182.png

1642699755149.png

1642699914746.png

1642699815915.png

1642699826632.png

Last edited:

Oh, I forgot about those! I like the way they work mechanically, but I could do with better classes. I was creating some traps for an OSE adventure recently, and I’m like: what makes sense for reflexively avoiding a falling portcullis trap? 🙃
Um, portcullis falls you die, roll a new character :ROFLMAO:

I think save vs death is cool, just as a luck mechanic. I think the names of the saves are evocative and communicate what the game is going to be about (your character will face the dangers of dragon breath, spells, petrification, and death). But this is one area where I would love to see a deep dive on how an OS mechanic affects/improves gameplay in a way that is not immediately obvious. I suppose it gives demi-humans an advantage to balance out level restrictions.

Weiley31

Legend
3.0/3.5: BAB. I always thought it was a bit of a pain to calculate. And the whole getting less and less accurate is a pain too. I'll admit, I've been spoiled by 5E's Extra Attack, but still.

Oh yeah Cross Skills suck. Pathfinder 1 did it the best and I would totally jack it as a house rule to use it in 3.0/3.5 if I was DMing it.

Remove ads