D&D 5E What rule(s) is 5e missing?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
That does specifically call out neutral creatures (well, "creatures who are neither good nor evil"). But it specifically calls them out for a reduced effect. This does not fit @Vaalingrade 's characterisation of "It calls itself Good while explicitly targeting Neutral folks for suffering."
I dunno, he mentioned how it does less damage to neutrals, that seems like it would fit the description for holy smite.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I must be missing the distinction, Holy Word can kill nongood creatures, isn't that causing suffering to neutral people?

Vaalingrade

Legend
But that's okay because Fireball, also a notable Good Spell For Good People To Use also grievously wounds innocent bystanders.

Also, the forced symmetry is hilarious when we get to Dictum; a wide spread, indiscriminate blast for notoriously sloppy and slip-shod Law.

Sounds like I was combining Smite and Word, both terrible spells.

Getting a 17 vs DC20 roll to open a lock....you can succeed on opening it but you will lose that set of picks getting there. Fair for the player and the GM.

Getting a 17 vs DC20 to hit a golem...you can succeed at damaging it, but your sword will shatter in the process. Not as fair.
why is it fair to take away 1 piece of equipment a character needs but not another?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
why is it fair to take away 1 piece of equipment a character needs but not another?
I would assume leaving a character defenseless in battle is worse than preventing them from using one method to bypass a lock.

If there's one thing I know from years of being a DM- present players with a locked door, and come hell or high water, they will go through that door.

I would assume leaving a character defenseless in battle is worse than preventing them from using one method to bypass a lock.
wait did they loose there AC all attacks and spells with that sword?
and did the skilled character who lost his picks not have to replace them too?
If there's one thing I know from years of being a DM- present players with a locked door, and come hell or high water, they will go through that door.

... No.

Actually picking locks is not like Skyrim where picks both break every time they touch metal AND are so common that you start to wonder why people bother having locks.
just put 4 metal locks on your door so they break 4 picks... then lock your valibuls up in another place so if they don't have 5 picks they can't get to them... thieves would think real hard about if breaking in was worth it

Vaalingrade

Legend
just put 4 metal locks on your door so they break 4 picks... then lock your valibuls up in another place so if they don't have 5 picks they can't get to them... thieves would think real hard about if breaking in was worth it
Your neighbor doesn't lock their door and keeps the ten picks every person has for some reason on their kitchen counter.

Edit: Holy crap, they all have lockpicks because only rich people have KEYS in Skyrim!

Remove ads