• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What rule(s) is 5e missing?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
PHB107 "You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.". Or you could use a cantrip, hexblade still gets those. Even with the variant encumbrance that should have been default or a lightly encumbered state like 3.x had a dagger is only one single pound if your hexblade is not blade pact. You could even grab a fallen weapon from a dead foe or something.
I should have said Dex based character with noodle arms, lol.

James Gasik

Supporter
Not every group feels happy about worrying about whether they can carry around essential gear, supplies, and treasure. In 4e, a 10 Strength character could wear full plate armor at level 1 and I never heard a complaint about it.

Now you have to wait and spend a ton of money for it again (but that's ok because what else are you going to spend it on?), but you can carry even more weight by default than a 4e character can. Compromise, I guess?

I find Encumbrance obnoxious because if I'm trying to enforce it, then I'm constantly asking my players "how are you carrying this" and they groan, and then I have to audit sheets with calculator in hand. And all it really does is bring me back to my AD&D days when players were dumping copper and silver coins on the ground because they weren't worth the effort of carrying, and nobody wanted to have neat bits of equipment like block and tackles, oil and holy water, and the like- just the basics, thanks, I can't carry anything more.

And I know more than a few old school players who would make sure to drop their backpacks before going into a fight just to avoid taking penalties for daring to stuff a few extra pounds of rations in their satchels.

Encumbrance may be fun for some, but I never saw the upside. Especially now when treasure is basically meaningless at a certain point anyways. I got like 11 thousand gold on a character. Doesn't do him a damn bit of good. Can't eat it. If I buy a house or a keep I'll never see it. I pay for the best lifestyle each month and buy arrows a hundred at a time.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Not every group feels happy about worrying about whether they can carry around essential gear, supplies, and treasure. In 4e, a 10 Strength character could wear full plate armor at level 1 and I never heard a complaint about it.

Now you have to wait and spend a ton of money for it again (but that's ok because what else are you going to spend it on?), but you can carry even more weight by default than a 4e character can. Compromise, I guess?

I find Encumbrance obnoxious because if I'm trying to enforce it, then I'm constantly asking my players "how are you carrying this" and they groan, and then I have to audit sheets with calculator in hand. And all it really does is bring me back to my AD&D days when players were dumping copper and silver coins on the ground because they weren't worth the effort of carrying, and nobody wanted to have neat bits of equipment like block and tackles, oil and holy water, and the like- just the basics, thanks, I can't carry anything more.

And I know more than a few old school players who would make sure to drop their backpacks before going into a fight just to avoid taking penalties for daring to stuff a few extra pounds of rations in their satchels.

Encumbrance may be fun for some, but I never saw the upside. Especially now when treasure is basically meaningless at a certain point anyways. I got like 11 thousand gold on a character. Doesn't do him a damn bit of good. Can't eat it. If I buy a house or a keep I'll never see it. I pay for the best lifestyle each month and buy arrows a hundred at a time.
Thats an issue with the system, certainly. Play a better version of 5e (Level Up, for example) and that problem goes away. Plenty of stuff to spend your gold on in there.

Oofta

Legend

The only reason I track it is because I ask people to use my DDB account, so it's easy and relatively painless. I've never bothered tracking arrows and whatnot except in very unusual circumstances where the group is scrounging.

James Gasik

Supporter
Well then, I guess breaking a weapon is no big deal. Great, I'll stock a few extra weapons and a spare set of Thieves' Tools and we're good to go!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Well then, I guess breaking a weapon is no big deal. Great, I'll stock a few extra weapons and a spare set of Thieves' Tools and we're good to go!
I know you're joking but this underscores the connectedness of subsystems and how they impact one another. For example, you can't really do worthwhile exploration with at least some degree of resource management.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads