• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What rule(s) is 5e missing?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
wait did they loose there AC all attacks and spells with that sword?
and did the skilled character who lost his picks not have to replace them too?
I mean, what are you going to attack with if you're a Fighter and you lose your sword?

We're not exactly in the era where people lug around golf bags of different weapons, you know.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I mean, what are you going to attack with if you're a Fighter and you lose your sword?

We're not exactly in the era where people lug around golf bags of different weapons, you know.
Your other sword or the other other sword you used to use but still carry because you can carry quite a few hundred pounds before getting mildly inconvenienced?

James Gasik

Supporter
Your other sword or the other other sword you used to use but still carry because you can carry quite a few hundred pounds before getting mildly inconvenienced?
What if my DM uses the Encumbrance variant and I'm a Hexblade with noodle arms but a charming smile? : )

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

Maybe not golf bags, but a Fighter who doesn't keep at least one backup weapon on hand has only him-herself to blame should the first one break or get dropped off a cliff...or a ship.

glass

(he, him)
I must be missing the distinction, Holy Word can kill nongood creatures, isn't that causing suffering to neutral people?
Not specifically "targeting Neutral folks for suffering", which was @Vaalingrade's claim.
But that's okay because Fireball, also a notable Good Spell For Good People To Use also grievously wounds innocent bystanders.
I assume this is supposed to be sarcastic, but despite holy word having the Good descriptor and fireball not, using either to kill neutral enemies is fine and using either to kill innocent bystanders is not. Either way, nobody is getting "patted on the back" for the latter, which was also part of the original claim.

Again, nobody is required to like alignment mechanics, and nobody is required to justify there preferences. But is you do try to justify your preferences, try keep the justification accurate.

There is no need to mischaracterise spells like holy word - especially when sanctify the wicked is right there, in all its horrible glory. Nothing says double-plus good like a year of continuous brainwashing and torture!

_
glass.

Last edited:

James Gasik

Supporter
Not specifically "targeting Neutral folks for suffering", which was @Vaalingrade 's claim.

I assume this is supposed to be sarcastic, but despite holy word having the Good descriptor and fireball not, using either to kill neutral enemies is fine and using either to kill innocent bystanders is not. Either way, nobody is getting "patted on the back" for the latter, which was also part of the original claim.

Again, nobody is required to like alignment mechanics, and nobody is required to justify there preferences. But is you do try to justify your preferences, try keep the justification accurate.

There is no need to mischaracterise spells like holy word - especially when sanctify the wicked is right there, in all its horrible glory. Nothing says double-plus good like a year of continuous brainwashing and torture!

_
glass.
But then they are Redeemed, so that's Good because they are Good! Wait...

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
What if my DM uses the Encumbrance variant and I'm a Hexblade with noodle arms but a charming smile? : )
PHB107 "You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.". Or you could use a cantrip, hexblade still gets those. Even with the variant encumbrance that should have been default or a lightly encumbered state like 3.x had a dagger is only one single pound if your hexblade is not blade pact. You could even grab a fallen weapon from a dead foe or something.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads