• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What rule(s) is 5e missing?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
What hyperbole?

The penalty for not managing your resources is exhaustion. Didn't count your food and water? Exhaustion. Didn't bring something for extreme weather? Exhaustion. Did try to manage resources? Mental exhaustion. And the resource management plus random encounters is all the game cares about.

How about some skill challenges to gamify things like fishing or camping? Nope.

How about some wondrous locations to visit? We barely get pure setting books anymore, much less something in depth enough for that.

How about wildlife that's cool and useful for things that aren't snatching souls of flora that has uses to give you a reason to care about being out in the world? Nah.

How about anything that incentivizes exploration rather than punishing not engaging resource management?

It's not hyperbole when it's the exact thing that's there. It's like saying calling Best Buy or Walmart 'big box stores' is hyperbole. They're big boxen.
I don't understand why you don't think those things are possible in 5E.

glass

(he, him)
Yes, but a lot of people hate the idea as if attack rolls, AC, and hit points aren't already highly ambiguous.
I was not active here* during the DDN playtest, but didn't they have to create a whole subforum for damage-on-a-miss "discussions" to prevent them swamping everything else? That was the rumour anyway....

_
glass.

* I lost my login details ages ago, and for some inexplicable reason had used a work email address (from like five jobs ago now) to sign up so I could not easily recover them. The A5e playtest gave me the impetus to get in touch with Morrus and thankfully he was able to help me. It is good to be back!

Remove ads