What rules and mechanics from other systems would you like to import into your 5e games?

Bupp

Adventurer
I use the Escalation Die in my game. It does help speed up combats, especially the big grindy type.

As far as ED vs. Bounded Accuracy goes, just increase opponent AC by 1 across the board.

I allow "boss monsters" to also use the ED.

In one extreme case (against Lareth and Co. at Moathouse, ToEE), ED was at 3, several opponents rolled crits, players either rolled 1's on attacks or failed aoe saves) I allowed the opponents to "seize control" of ED. The momentum swung against the party, so Lareth & Co. gained the ED. It didn't advance further, but counted down back to 0 before starting to count back up for the PCs. Haven't done this since, but the fight is still talked about.

We do roll initiative every round. Small party, so it's not an issue. ED is added to initiative roll. I usually just state the highest opponent roll, "anyone beat a 17?". Anyone higher can act in any order, then anyone below can act in any order.

If the opponent has reinforcements nearby, they will usually show up on ED 2 or 3, so round 3 or 4. I'll make a high/low die roll before to decide.

If the ED makes it to 5, opponents will usually retreat/surrender/pull out desperation move that can turn the tide.

I've also wanted to do some class based/monster based ED tricks, but have never gotten around to it.

Shiroiken

Legend
I'm interested in the Pathfinder 2 weapons. The current system is fairly good, but some aspects of it piss me off, and I'd like to see more diversity with the weapons.

Mercule

Adventurer
I've been toying with wholesale replacing the traits with character Aspects from Fate and using Fate Points through the lens of Inspiration (compels and invokes provide advantage/disadvantage a la Inspiration).

One of the reasons I haven't is because I'm afraid that, once I started tacking on Fate bits to D&D, it would be a slow creep towards replacing all the rules. I'm not sure that'd be a bad thing, but the middle ground would cause me a lot of work.

Tallifer

Hero
I want to borrow the whole Glory, Virtues, Vices and Honour system from Pendragon. It was the most flavourful thing I have ever seen for mediaeval fantasy.

However, not all my current players would be as keen.

Maya Culpar 2.jpg

Coroc

Hero
I would love to see 3E s 3 saving throw System back in place, just for additional simplicity and because it really covers all. In the rare case it doesn't you can still do e.g. a str or cha check.

What i do use as a houserule is 3E's max spellevel = Casting Attribute - 10 but that is easy on the Players and accepted by my Group, since thats the main Attribute everyone of full casters will push to 20 before reaching the Levels where it might apply, if possible. But i would like to see that as ann official rule.

SHAFFSTER

First Post
I’ve wanted to adapt the minion rules from FFG Star Wars/edge of the empire but I haven’t figured out a good way to do it yet. I love how the effectiveness/threat is easily scaled up or down based on the number in the group and running them as a single “unit” really speeds up encounters. Translating the weird non-numerical dice mechanic is tricky though

Henry

Autoexreginated
Exactly what it says in the title.

What rules or mechanics from other systems would you like to import into your 5e games? Why? What effect do you hope it'll have on play?

If you have imported rules from other systems, which ones did you use? How did it go? What would you do the same or differently?

After attending a game day a few weeks ago, one mechanic I’d like to see in a 5e game is mixing in the “Destiny” mechanic (the light side/dark side) from FFG Edge of the Empire with inspiration in the game somehow. Personally I forget to award it a lot, and such a mechanic would keep it in front of everyone’s mind for frequent use rather than see people hoard them.

Remove ads