• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What Rules Do You Want to See in 4E?

3d6

Explorer
I'd like to see more PrC abilities as feats. Feats are more usable, and more useful for character customization. PrC abilities as feats also ensures that there's a cost for gaining the new special ability.

I would also like to see a reduction in the number of bonus types. I think quite a bit of the complexity of D&D is trying to determine what stacks in the heat of combat as spells are cast and dispelled.

kayn99

First Post
Personally I would like to see the following changes

Xp penalty applied to PrCs. To avoid the penalty a character much finish the PrC to the end. The PrC class is a great concept but it is all about dipping into this or that. If your going to do that, them just make one class with x feats and make every PrC power a feat. That way everyone can build the super character of their dream.

Make a distinction between spell caster level and spell progression level. I find a lot of people seem to mess that up.

Consistancy in editing and the rules.

Lastly, set power levels of the things you wan tin the game, so every suppliment is not just on upping the last one with power. If you have a plan ahead of time you will know what is approperate and what is grossly over powerful.

Kayn

Drowbane

First Post
bestone said:
Why? you absolutely need new splatbooks every month?

If you dont want to waste money on a new edition, and if your happy with the way 3rd works, then dont buy a new edition.

No-ones holding your arm saying if they release fourth you have to burn all your 3rd books and buy new 4th ones.

Interesting.

Now to misquote you.

"If you don't want to waste money on splat books every month, and if you're happy with Core Only, then don't buy new books as they come out.

No one is holding your arm saying if they release a new splat book you have to go out and spend money on it"

My point is, it your argument could apply to either side of the fence.
:confused:

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
Felix said:
When you refer to "what they did", do you mean the 90's when there was a glut of campaign setting and poorly designed splatbook material flooding the market with poor production quality?

Because if you are refering to the 90's, I don't understand how they could not be viewed as anything but years of "sell sell sellness". They were known as T$R, after all.

At the very least, Hasbro produces well-made books that won't fall apart after a year's use.

Certainly you are entitled to an opinion. So is a 5-year-old child. His entitlement does not mean his opinion is well founded, however.

Which is why I am mystified by someone who complains about Hasbro's marketing strategy and simultaneously wishes to give the franchise back to TSR, a company who drove DnD into the ground with the same attitude you decry.

I was with ya right up till you started bashing him needlessly. Honestly man, make your point without resorting to that, please?

Psionics part of the base game mechanics. In all previous editions, it has been an afterthought and a system totally removed from the spell rules.

Less focus on class. Make character creation a give/take options based system. That way, you could have a melee based rogue without needing to take three splatbooks.

However, what you will is a push for more splatbooks, more minis and more accessories. I wouldn't be surprised by a HeroClix-esque mass combat system - exclusively available from WOTC. At least, that what I would do to keep the money coming in.

frankthedm

First Post
Ace said:
I'd like an integrated level based defense bonus and better saves so that a PC doesn't need the big 4 (*) to be competitive.
Those big four matter less than concealment at the higher levels.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Another thing I would like to see them do is a synergy analysis.

Many feats and special abilities appear to work ok at low to mid levels. But at high levels, the synergies stack up so greatly that many game elements become nearly automatic.

For example, to hit. At 20th level, the chance to miss is 5% (roll a one) on the first and sometimes the second swing. When combined with other synergies (e.g. Trip), many combat aspects become near automatic. Ditto for many skills (e.g. Spellcraft, Tumble, etc.). Ditto for many spells (Quickened Orb of Fire plus Sudden Maximized Orb of Fire is often equal to auto-death).

green slime

First Post
KarinsDad said:
Another thing I would like to see them do is a synergy analysis.

Many feats and special abilities appear to work ok at low to mid levels. But at high levels, the synergies stack up so greatly that many game elements become nearly automatic.

For example, to hit. At 20th level, the chance to miss is 5% (roll a one) on the first and sometimes the second swing. When combined with other synergies (e.g. Trip), many combat aspects become near automatic. Ditto for many skills (e.g. Spellcraft, Tumble, etc.). Ditto for many spells (Quickened Orb of Fire plus Sudden Maximized Orb of Fire is often equal to auto-death).

I agree. This is the second most irritating aspect of DnD.

The first being magic (items, spells) making any skill completely redundant, at already very low levels.

The third being Dead levels and PrC-inflation.

Lastly, a revised magic system allowing for augmentated spells, reducing the number of spells, but increasing their flexibility with regards to casting time, duration, effect, etc.

Musrum

First Post
More streamlined "stacking" rules.

Give a limited list of types. Include a meta-rule that adding an arbitrary new "type" should not be done.

An untyped bonus stacks with nothing (instead of everything).

Gooba42

First Post
Solid guidelines internally and in the published content for building classes, spells, creatures and abilities in balanced ways.

If it means an official "Feature Points" system or whatever, it'd be great for the community at large if we didn't necessarily need to consult the local guru as to whether a given creature should be CR 1 or 2 or whether a spell or class was subtly overpowered.

Empower the community to produce decent content, let WotC focus on mechanics while reducing the barrier to entry for worldbuilders and homebrew campaign settings. If they want to keep producing Warlocks, Binders, Truenamers and Incarnum that's fine. If they want to continue the power/feature creep of the core with PrCs, Spells and features that's a problem.

You should have to be talented to produce great content, not merely playable content.

Remove ads