D&D 5E What Seven Classes Would You Keep? (and why!)

Which Seven Classes Would You Keep? (please vote for all seven and thanks!)

• Barbarian

Votes: 61 25.0%
  • Bard

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Cleric

Votes: 210 86.1%
  • Druid

Votes: 134 54.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 224 91.8%
  • Monk

Votes: 61 25.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 123 50.4%
  • Ranger

Votes: 95 38.9%
  • Rogue

Votes: 225 92.2%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Warlock

Votes: 82 33.6%
  • Wizard

Votes: 217 88.9%
  • Other (PLEASE post what and why!)

Votes: 20 8.2%

Tallifer

Hero
I think the Druid and Fighter (or a multiclass thereof) can cover the two sides of the Ranger and Barbarian. Wizard can cover all the arcane classes. Rogue all the sneaky stuff.
The Cleric and Fighter can cover the Paladin. The Bard and Monk simply have awesome fluff.

akr71

Hero
Interesting. I am just the opposite. I don't like cross-over via archetypes because I feel the same thing can be accomplished by multiclassing. Why have eldritch knight, when I can player a fighter/wizard?

I feel the same way, but if we strip it down to the big 4, how does one create a bard, monk or barbarian for example. We could go old school for the bard and make them dual class rogue, then druid and then they become a bard - I'd be happy with this because we'd see a lot fewer bards and it is my least favorite class.

It could be a rogue/wizard who invests heavily in skills and charisma too.

The monk? Dex based fighter with some unarmed strike type feats?

Barbarian? Dunno, maybe its time for this rage induced class to go to anger management classes and learn some yoga.

Mister-Kent

Explorer
Haven't voted yet because I haven't finalized my decisions, but I'd definitely keep Fighter/Wizard/Rogue/Cleric.

Barbarian I'd fold into Fighter somehow. Druid would just become a Nature domain Cleric. Sorcerer and Warlock could just be special wizard types. Honestly I'd be tempted to fold Monk and Ranger into Fighter as well and Bard into Rogue. So if we gotta choose 7 to keep I'm kinda stumped.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Haven't voted yet because I haven't finalized my decisions, but I'd definitely keep Fighter/Wizard/Rogue/Cleric.

Barbarian I'd fold into Fighter somehow. Druid would just become a Nature domain Cleric. Sorcerer and Warlock could just be special wizard types. Honestly I'd be tempted to fold Monk and Ranger into Fighter as well and Bard into Rogue. So if we gotta choose 7 to keep I'm kinda stumped.

I can understand your dilemma but that is also why I challenged people to vote for all seven you would keep. Pretty much every class can be folded into the main four, and even further down if you really want to.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Four weapon using classes and three spellcasting classes.

Fighter, Paladin, Ranger and Rogue. All four base classes should be able to have STR builds and DEX builds, and have no spellcasting. However, each of the four should have a single subclass that grants spellcasting (either 1/2 or 1/3 casting.) Subclasses are selected at 1st level.

Bard, Cleric, and Wizard-- one that uses CHA, one that uses WIS, and one that uses INT. However, I'd also put in a Variant rule in the game that allows each of their subclasses (College, Domain, and School) to change what their primary ability score is. So College of Valor would use CHA, but College of Lore could use INT. A Life Domain cleric uses WIS, but a Knowledge Domain cleric uses INT and a Trickery Domain uses CHA. A Divination School uses INT, while a Necromancy School uses WIS and an Enchantment School uses CHA.

All three base classes would be spellcasting first and foremost, with each one having at least one or two subclasses that allows for martial combat. So College of Valor, War Domain, Evocation School could all grant some bonus weapon and armor proficiencies as part of their 1st level subclass abilities.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Four weapon using classes and three spellcasting classes.

Fighter, Paladin, Ranger and Rogue. All four base classes should be able to have STR builds and DEX builds, and have no spellcasting. However, each of the four should have a single subclass that grants spellcasting (either 1/2 or 1/3 casting.) Subclasses are selected at 1st level.

Bard, Cleric, and Wizard-- one that uses CHA, one that uses WIS, and one that uses INT. However, I'd also put in a Variant rule in the game that allows each of their subclasses (College, Domain, and School) to change what their primary ability score is. So College of Valor would use CHA, but College of Lore could use INT. A Life Domain cleric uses WIS, but a Knowledge Domain cleric uses INT and a Trickery Domain uses CHA. A Divination School uses INT, while a Necromancy School uses WIS and an Enchantment School uses CHA.

All three base classes would be spellcasting first and foremost, with each one having at least one or two subclasses that allows for martial combat. So College of Valor, War Domain, Evocation School could all grant some bonus weapon and armor proficiencies as part of their 1st level subclass abilities.

Hmm... that plays a bit into what I've been thinking.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I don't actually care that much about the big 4. I think rogues are nice to keep but fighters are generally sort of boring, other spellcasters are more interesting than wizards. Clerics I keep because I think monks, druids, rangers, maybe even warlocks can actually be slotted into the chassis. Sorcerers, especially if we apply some of the neat changes PF2E has made to that classes structure, can cover the rest of casters pretty well. I kept bard because I love bard but it could easily be a variant or variants of rogue or sorcerer. Barbarian I kept because its more interesting than a fighter to me but I'd also bring the interesting fighter subclasses here, so really I want it to be a combo of the two.

I also don't disagree with the thoughts of others that we could reduce to 4 classes and then use subclasses to expand out to other ideas.

Sort of at cross purposes with that last paragraph, but I'd also be down with removing the chassis of each class and having all the subclasses be their own thing, but not necessarily full 1-20 classes (I believe this might be vaguely similar to prestige classes but I didn't play in those editions so I'm not sure how close it is).

Remove ads