D&D (2024) What Should A New Core Setting Look Like?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
For any setting to be popular, it would have to be big. Big enough that it's the focus of multiple supplements and other product lines, like novels. Otherwise it looks like another experiment like the M:tG settings.

If it's that big, it will be de facto replacing the Realms as the main focus of D&D material, which will make a lot of the player base angry.

If it were up to me, I'd try to sell a new setting in a combined setting book/alternate PHB. New races, new takes on races, new classes and subclasses, maybe a novel magic system, still on the 5e chassis.

I would submit, as is Eberron, for that matter.
I think, respectfully, that's over-focusing on the exact meaning of "generic".

Yeah, Eberron isn't "generic". It's a cool and original setting - but it is Kitchen Sink, which is I think the key thing. Whereas Dark Sun is er... not Kitchen Sink. It's like, Carefully Packed Suitcase, where you're not intending to put just anything and everything in it.

I think, respectfully, that's over-focusing on the exact meaning of "generic".

Yeah, Eberron isn't "generic". It's a cool and original setting - but it is Kitchen Sink, which is I think the key thing. Whereas Dark Sun is er... not Kitchen Sink. It's like, Carefully Packed Suitcase, where you're not intending to put just anything and everything in it.
Your new icon is like a demented version of Kuwabara. What happened to the Ruin Explorer I used to know???

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Well, they said they are, first of all. Also, I don't see the downside. They have a whole "multiverse" to play with. Why should they continue to rehash the same 5 settings that were created no less than 20 years ago, and most of which are closer to 30 years old (and according to Ben Riggs' data, didn't generally sell especially well in the first place).
The multiverse train has left the station. Jumping on now would be like going with a barn house decor style. In a few years you will be asking yourself why you went that way becasue now your house is cheugy AF.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, they said they are, first of all.

I missed that announcement, but doesn't really answer the question.

Also, I don't see the downside.

The relevant term is "opportunity cost". You only have so much in resources for content development. Those resources should be put to the highest priority items. "Because we said we would," is not a great reason for a thing to be high priority.

Big, detailed settings are expensive. Are there better, more compelling things to spend those resources on?

Why should they continue to rehash the same 5 settings that were created no less than 20 years ago, and most of which are closer to 30 years old (and according to Ben Riggs' data, didn't generally sell especially well in the first place).

It isn't like, "rehash old settings" and "do a big new core setting" are the only choices.

Thus - first determine if the "current cohort" (still not well defined) actually cares about the game having a highly-detailed core setting. "Core setting" as a concept is even older than most of the poorly-selling settings you mention - if we shouldn't be rehashing the old settings 'cuz they are old, maybe we also need to re-examine the entire concept of a core setting 'cuz it is even older.

Your new icon is like a demented version of Kuwabara. What happened to the Ruin Explorer I used to know???
LOL it's Willem Dafoe from the excellent and definitely demented 1983 movie Streets of Fire which was basically the direct inspiration for both Cyberpunk 2013/2020's core vibe - according to Mike Pondsmith - and also the videogames Final Fight and Streets of Rage. As such he may actually be a distant conceptual ancestor of Kuwabara - there are several Japanese game and anime characters who seem to be inspired by Dafoe's look in the movie.

I'll probably change it to something cuter soon enough, because honestly he jump-scares me a little every time I see him! (@Umbran's avatar used to as well, but then I re-watched Angel and as a grown-up, Lindsey is a lot less alarming - also that might just be the same actor - Christian Kane, amazing name! - in Leverage).

Last edited:

LOL it's Willem Dafoe from the excellent and definitely demented movie Streets of Fire which was basically the direct inspiration for both Cyberpunk 2013/2020's core vibe - according to Mike Pondsmith - and also the videogames Final Fight and Streets of Rage.

I'll probably change it to something cuter soon enough, because honestly he jump-scares me a little every time I see him!
Dafoe has somehow gotten both uglier and more beautiful with age; seeing him young disturbs me.

Remove ads