D&D General What spells should a god have?

dave2008

Legend
I forgot that you were going for Immortals earlier. Are you going with the first edition where they use power per spell, or later when they just spend some power to cast mortal spells all day long?
I think the original version is too complex for 5e, but I am not exactly doing the revised version either. My version may be to complex too. I haven't finalized the magic section yet, but currently:
1) you get some spells for free (what I was asking for in this thread) that you can cast at epic rank 1
2) you can cast any mortal spell (1-9) by spending a certain amount of TQ (10 per spell level) per spell
3) you can cast mortal spells innately or via slots if you invest PQ in your Form to do so (cost to be determined)
4) you can cast immortal spells innately or via slots if you invest PQ in your Form to do so (cost to be determined)

TQ = Temporary Quintessence
PQ = Primary Quintessence

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think the original version is too complex for 5e, but I am not exactly doing the revised version either. My version may be to complex too. I haven't finalized the magic section yet, but currently:
1) you get some spells for free (what I was asking for in this thread) that you can cast at epic rank 1
2) you can cast any mortal spell (1-9) by spending a certain amount of TQ (10 per spell level) per spell
3) you can cast mortal spells innately or via slots if you invest PQ in your Form to do so (cost to be determined)
4) you can cast immortal spells innately or via slots if you invest PQ in your Form to do so (cost to be determined)

TQ = Temporary Quintessence
PQ = Primary Quintessence

Yeah. It probably is too complicated for 5e. I just liked it more, because it really differentiated the spheres and made them feel different. Sphere mattered more.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah. It probably is too complicated for 5e. I just liked it more, because it really differentiated the spheres and made them feel different. Sphere mattered more.
I agree with you, I like it from a design / world building perspective, buy I don't think think it actually helps play. My argument is that just like the Prime Material plane, spells are mixture of all spheres. That is easier to justify with some more than others, but hard coding some spells into a particular sphere didn't seem right to me either. That is one reason I am trying to make the spheres (and sphere abilities) something unique outside of spells.

Last edited:

Remove ads