D&D (2024) What spells should be dropped?

Clint_L

Hero
I think proposing any pruning from any system immediately draws backlash because everyone can imagine some eventuality where that particular thing will definitely be useful. It's the same reason many folks resist cleaning out their basements.

The current spell lists are like cluttered basements. A lot of the stuff is probably never going to get used, and if it does eventually become essential, then you can just grab a new one.

Clint_L

Hero
Not a fan of Guidance.

The spell itself is fine, I just hate how it gets spammed 8 dozen times an hour at every gaming session.
Then I would argue that it isn't fine. Any spell that is automatic is too good and needs to be nerfed, or else have its effect permanently added to the game as a feature.

If you agree with the effect, then just make it a house rule that you can add a d4 to any ability check when there is a cleric, druid, or artificer in the party and save the bother of the player having to say the magic words "I cast guidance" every single time it could come into play. And they get one less cantrip.

My opinion is that spells should be interesting choices, and spells that are virtually always selected are no longer real choices. Like, I know a cleric could choose not to take guidance, but why would they?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Level 3 cuts (this is a strong level):

Arshdalon's Stride
Catnap
Erupting Earth
Feign Death
Flame Arrows
Incite Greed
Life Transference
Lightning Bolt (or make it level 2)
Magic Circle
Remove Curse (should be clerics only)
Sleet Storm
Summon lesser demons
Summon Fey
Thunder Step
Vampiric Touch
Wall of Sand
Wall of Water
Water Breathing

Level 4 cuts:

Blight
Confusion
Conjure Minor Elementals
Control Water
Fabricate
Fire Shield
Ice Storm'
Leomund's Secret Chest
Locate Crature
Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
Storm Sphere
Summon Elemental
Watery Sphere
Rioting. Burning. Every spellcaster player I know would refuse to play the new version of the game. Like these are some of the most used, or most interesting, 3rd and 4th level spells, and 4th level already has too few spells to choose from.
this is a big OUCH from me.

not that I can tell you it's really useful, but it feels like one that should be.
Yeah if anything it’s a spell that needs a rewrite for greater usability. The only way removal would be okay would be if it became part of a ritual magic system that has rituals that can’t be cast as spells or some other change to Spellcasting that makes the magic circle just part of Spellcasting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases