TSR What TSR-era RPG should get an official 5e reboot?

What old TSR RPG should be brought into the 5e fold?

• Boot Hill. I like guns!

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Crimefighters. I like pulp fiction!

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Gamma World. I like mutants!

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Gangbusters. I like gangsters!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marvel Super Heroes. I like super heroes!

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Star Frontiers. I like space!

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Top Secret. I like spies!

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • I do not cross the streams, and I keep my fantasy pure.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • You cannot make me talk, and I plead the 5th Amendment.

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Poll closed .

Nutation

Explorer
The DragonQuest RPG. Pure brilliance.
It'll never happen. But a boy can dream.

DragonQuest, though fondly remembered, was an SPI game. TSR acquired SPI, so it's not quite the same thing. Would Wizards publish multiple fantasy RPGs?

Skills. Essentially fixed hit points. Wonky colleges of magic. I would like to see it again.

manduck

Explorer
I went with Gamma World, for all that mutant and post-apocalyptic craziness. I was tempted to go with Marvel at first. Though there are some really great superhero games out there, like Mutants & Masterminds and Worlds in Peril, that really capture comic superheroes awesomely. You can play whatever you want and it's easy to integrate stuff like Marvel and DC into them if you want. So since someone updated some of the superhero games already, Gamma World get's my vote.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I voted Boot Hill, but for the Old West setting rather than “the guns.” D&D has always had a frontier outlook that (especially in the original High Gygaxian) borrows as much from the American Wild West as it does from the European Middle Ages. It would interesting to see the game take a side trip into seeing how to put those ideas back into their proper setting (and also be a neat way of creating a grittier take on 5e while not changing some of the core adventuring and frontier aspects of the game).

Yaarel

He Mage
Marvel Super Heroes is a fun intuitive game.

It is probably difficult to translate into D&D 5e mechanics.

I would mainly make a super the Warrior Mage class: a 5e Wizard with a ‘Fighter tradition’. (It feels like a Basic D&D Elf class, a 3e Wizard/Fighter gestalt, and a 4e Swordmage class.) Then focus on thematic ‘domains’ for the spell lists.

Allow other classes too, of course: Batman as Rogue, and so on. But Warrior Mage covers most of the super archetypes, depending on cantrip and spell selection. They are mages that can brawl.

Thakazum

Explorer
Star Frontiers was more like the Marvel game it relied on the d10 system and the stats worked the same and I still have the original books of that game

Star Frontiers used a d100 system. Abilities and skills were on a scale of 1 to 100. It didn't have classes but did have Primary Skill Areas: Military, Technological, Biosocial.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Star Frontiers used a d100 system. Abilities and skills were on a scale of 1 to 100. It didn't have classes but did have Primary Skill Areas: Military, Technological, Biosocial.

In Zebulon's Guide, the tried to turn it into a MSH-like chart system.

Remove ads