D&D (2024) What variant rules do you want to see?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Barbarian Berserker fits the paradigm as well. The Primal Knowledge ability doesn't need to have the appearance of being "magical." There are no actual spells or visible effects that suggest that it is. It can just be a willful focus of "I am so infuriatingly, stubbornly, persistent and sure of myself that I will succeed, that I have an edge at actually succeeding."
I'd say even in 2014, the Barbarian has a preternatural edge, at a minimum (a Champion Fighter being able to get off 8 Greatsword swings in 6 seconds is pretty astounding, too, I suppose).

Remathilis

Legend
I'd say even in 2014, the Barbarian has a preternatural edge, at a minimum (a Champion Fighter being able to get off 8 Greatsword swings in 6 seconds is pretty astounding, too, I suppose).
I've always seen rage as a supernatural force, based on the 4e/Primal description of it. The fact nearly every subclass has supernatural elements to it helps seal that for me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've always seen rage as a supernatural force, based on the 4e/Primal description of it. The fact nearly every subclass has supernatural elements to it helps seal that for me.
Yeah, I'd say it is a low magic Class: might still count for a "low fantasy" game, depending on how low we are talking. But I just dunno if D&D is the best for low magic, ro be honest.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Chameleon:
requires Expertise in Stealth,
+1 ASI
you can Hide in any environment, without any cover or concealment.
sorry, nice idea but absolutely not, for starters it will likely require twofold investment as it needs expertise to begin with which would be a feat tax on most classes to aquire, secondly you're only getting the capacity on a single skill for something i was presenting as the martial's all-access solution to deal with the overwhelming degree of problems that only magic can solve.

Horwath

Legend
sorry, nice idea but absolutely not, for starters it will likely require twofold investment as it needs expertise to begin with which would be a feat tax on most classes to aquire, secondly you're only getting the capacity on a single skill for something i was presenting as the martial's all-access solution to deal with the overwhelming degree of problems that only magic can solve.
So what if it requires another feat for some classes?
It gives you Invisibility as an Action or Bonus action if you pass a skill check. And with expertise and average pathetic passive perception of MM creatures will pass 90+% of the time.
Fighter can have it at level 6. with getting total of +2 to STR or DEX so another combat half-feat at 8th level will make it 20.

Remathilis

Legend
Ah yes. The "I want all the power of spellcasting without needing to actually cast spells". System.

Sorry, can't even get you a pony since that needs the Find Steed spell...

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Ah yes. The "I want all the power of spellcasting without needing to actually cast spells". System.

Sorry, can't even get you a pony since that needs the Find Steed spell...
ah yes i much prefer the system where i get told 'sorry your nonmagic party can't get past this door because it has an arcane lock, try bringing a wizard instead of a rogue if you want to unlock doors next time' i get infinite attempts to pick the lock but none of them will have any chance of working.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
ah yes i much prefer the system where i get told 'sorry your nonmagic party can't get past this door because it has an arcane lock, try bringing a wizard instead of a rogue if you want to unlock doors next time' i get infinite attempts to pick the lock but none of them will have any chance of working.
Well, that's a bit of a DM issue.

Remove ads