D&D (2024) What variant rules do you want to see?

The Beastmaster is only one example of how 2024 D&D won't permit low fantasy gaming
D&D isn't low fantasy nor is it a generic system that should be expected to fully fulfill every fantasy setting archetype. D&D should fulfill the role of representing their settings, and homebrew settings that fit within those expectations. Sure they can have settings that have variant expectations and focus on slightly different themes, war, exploration, horror, cottage-core, etc. But they should all allow every class to be present in those settings, even if there is a little re-fluff.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
would this count as a variant rule? guidelines for supernatural feats of mundane nonmagical skill.

yes the old 'you stealth so good you're literally invisible'

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
D&D isn't low fantasy nor is it a generic system that should be expected to fully fulfill every fantasy setting archetype. D&D should fulfill the role of representing their settings, and homebrew settings that fit within those expectations. Sure they can have settings that have variant expectations and focus on slightly different themes, war, exploration, horror, cottage-core, etc. But they should all allow every class to be present in those settings, even if there is a little re-fluff.
2014 5e explicitly stated that there is an intent to embrace this version of fantasy, among nearly a dozen different variant fantasy options. It even recommended optional rules to engage this.

To deny that this occurred and to refuse to accept someone's request that similar exists 2024 do the same is bizarre.

Despite strongly presenting itself as such.
Of course the game recognizes different playstyles. The DMG showcases a number of campaign settings that have different themes (like in the "Flavors of Fantasy" section): Dungeon Master’s Guide

The Sword and Sorcery section specicially calls out "Fighter, rogue, and barbarian characters tend to be far more common than wizards, clerics, or paladins." But it doesn't need to change the core rules for wizards, clerics, or paladins so they 'fit better'.

There doesn't need to be a dial to make the game less magical. Just choose less magical options and themes. A campaign setting can have a grimdark theme that hates magic-users. But that doesn't mean the class rules change so that magical classes seem less magical.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
2014 5e explicitly stated that there is an intent to embrace this version of fantasy, among nearly a dozen different variant fantasy options. It even recommended optional rules to engage this.

To deny that this occurred and to refuse to accept someone's request that similar exists 2024 do the same is bizarre.
I don't see how 2024 makes it more or less difficult based on what we have seen: there are several more fully non-magical Subclasses, even (Thief, Assassin, Swashbuckler, Champion, Battlemaster, and Brawler is two more than 2014), and several low magic options with Barbarians or Monks.

I don't see how 2024 makes it more or less difficult based on what we have seen: there are several more fully non-magical Subclasses, even (Thief, Assassin, Swashbuckler, Champion, Battlemaster, and Brawler is two more than 2014), and several low magic options with Barbarians or Monks.
Barbarian Berserker fits the paradigm as well. The Primal Knowledge ability doesn't need to have the appearance of being "magical." There are no actual spells or visible effects that suggest that it is. It can just be a willful focus of "I am so infuriatingly, stubbornly, persistent and sure of myself that I will succeed, that I have an edge at actually succeeding."

Remove ads