D&D (2024) What variant rules do you want to see?

Rules about crafting, gathering, cooking...

The return of the monster classes. Yes, I know that is not possible in 5e but dreaming is free.

Variant classes, something like the archetypes of Pathfinder where some classe features can be replaced with others from an optional list.

Racial parangon background if you miss the racial modificers for abilitie scores.

Set of d14, d16 and d18 for house rules.

The Beastmaster is only one example of how 2024 D&D won't permit low fantasy gaming
Who says it won't?
  • Abolish all full spellcasters. The strongest caster in the game is the warlock and they only get to recover Pact Magic once between long rests.
  • Rename the Ranger "druid", and the Paladin "Cleric". Point out the optional "two cantrips as a fighting style" rules.
  • Double hit dice
  • Gritty rest rules (8 hour short, week for long)
  • Potentially add divine and primal mirrors for Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters.
Just because the D&D 5e ranger is not in the same realm as a low magic ranger doesn't mean that you can't do low fantasy gaming. It means you need tweaks and to not use the D&D 5e ranger as a ranger.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Who says it won't?
  • Abolish all full spellcasters. The strongest caster in the game is the warlock and they only get to recover Pact Magic once between long rests.
  • Rename the Ranger "druid", and the Paladin "Cleric". Point out the optional "two cantrips as a fighting style" rules.
  • Double hit dice
  • Gritty rest rules (8 hour short, week for long)
  • Potentially add divine and primal mirrors for Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters.
Just because the D&D 5e ranger is not in the same realm as a low magic ranger doesn't mean that you can't do low fantasy gaming. It means you need tweaks and to not use the D&D 5e ranger as a ranger.
Yes, this is all why I'm asking for an explicit Low Fantasy variant rule set in the DMG!

It can be done, with Variant Rules, not with the Base Game. So hopefully they explain this, because that's a rule I want to see

And what I'd like to see:
  • Low magic variants
  • "Party Centers" with the Bastion rules being only one option, a bastion variant for a pirate ship, and a "party sheet" for things like a group of treasure hunters or a group of folk heroes
  • Martial Paragon Paths for L10+ low magic item campaigns.
  • More treasure guidance - and XP for GP variant rules
  • DMing guidance. Much much more work for the DM, both to push it towards OSR style and to push it towards OC/Neo-trad style
    • Variant XP rules for both

Yaarel

He Mage
I like high magic.

If I were to do a low magic campaign:
• ban all full casters
• stretch out advancement speed, and cap at level 8 or 9
• lean into skills and tools
• I monitor magic items anyway

Zones instead of 5 foot measurements. Love me some zones. I prefer it over distance bands, but those are good too.

A multiclassing system that has a different progression for each class compared to that class' progression if they didn't multiclass. Something closer to the progressions from the Sidekick rules. This would only be the secondary, tertiary, etc. class. Not the starting class' progression even if they do multiclass.

No cantrips variant. Turn them into leveled spells. Give casters more lower level spell slots to compensate. No more free magic. Carry a sling and a dagger like your grandparents used to do.

ASIs tied to character level. Feats at standard class levels. Remove ASIs from feats to make then actually half feats. Can take one full feat or two half feats, your choice.

Remove ads