D&D (2024) What variant rules do you want to see?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I've been thinking on this for a bit since someone mentioned the ever present pointless 7th stat (comeliness honor etc) and think that the ever present anime trope of the powerful using their aura/soul/mana/whatever to "crush" an opponent as it's sometimes called would make for a good optional authority equals asskicking card that doesn't require every village elder or whatever to secretly be an undercover great wyrm or retired adventure. PCs almost almost always dramatically out muscle NPCs not intended to be a villain so there usually isn't a need for PCs to be capable of using it in return. Bleach and ascendance of s bookworm did a lot to put it front and center as meaningful thing rather than just a forgettable over 9000 flex. Frequently using it to interrupt murderhobo type interactions till a time it better served the plot gives it bonus points worth mentioning

I want to see the variant rest and combat rules, along with a larger set of exploration rules specific to the style of play in the DMG. Playing Mythic Fantasy? Then use these rules. Playing Sword & Sorcery? Use these rules. (I wouldn't even mind seeing an ignore list, such as ignore these rules and abilities in the PHB if you decide to try and run, say, a Wuxia game.) In other words, I would like to see it more linear, and not just hodge-podge.

Personally, I think this would go a long way in addressing resting, class disparity, and roleplaying complaints.

Laurefindel

Legend
I want to see the variant rest and combat rules, along with a larger set of exploration rules specific to the style of play in the DMG. Playing Mythic Fantasy? Then use these rules. Playing Sword & Sorcery? Use these rules. (I wouldn't even mind seeing an ignore list, such as ignore these rules and abilities in the PHB if you decide to try and run, say, a Wuxia game.) In other words, I would like to see it more linear, and not just hodge-podge.

Personally, I think this would go a long way in addressing resting, class disparity, and roleplaying complaints.
Same

Actually, that’s what I thought they were going for when they were talking about the modularity of 5e rules back in 2012-2013. I was also hoping for two or three magic/spellcasting systems in parallel to rest variants to match different genres

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

I too think this would be a good thing, but those rules need to be written by someone who likes the style of game that they are intended to fit. Too often the 2014 dmg optional and variant rules are hilariously incomplete or seem to have been written with the express goal of undermining keystone elements of a particular type of gameplay.

Remove ads