• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What's wrong with this psion?

It's not spell scaling.

1. You can't cast a spell at with slot you don't have. If you are a 5th level sorcerer, you can't cast fireball as a 4th level spell since you lack 4th level slots.
  2. Metamagic is general as they have to tag multiple spells. Augments are tailor made to each power.
  3. If you convert Augments to Metamagic many of them would be useless as they would affect a very very small group of spells. Who would take a metamagic that raises weight limits or switches humanoid to get and giants?

How do these specific mechanics relate to mind powers in 5e D&D? Why must these mechanics simulate mind powers, while all other mechanics fall short?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's not spell scaling.

1. You can't cast a spell at with slot you don't have. If you are a 5th level sorcerer, you can't cast fireball as a 4th level spell since you lack 4th level slots.
  2. Metamagic is general as they have to tag multiple spells. Augments are tailor made to each power.
  3. If you convert Augments to Metamagic many of them would be useless as they would affect a very very small group of spells. Who would take a metamagic that raises weight limits or switches humanoid to get and giants?
???

You do know a lot of 5e spells have spell specific scaling, right? That's actually a specific mimic on how 3.5 psionic powers also scaled, and has nothing to do with metamagic. I mean, 5e spells are a lot more like 3.5 powers than 3.5 spells precisely because they don't scale with caster level, and can only be powered up by spending a larger slot (the 3.5 power equivalent of spending more power points.)

Plus, 3.5 psionics also had an explicit power point level, so even in old psionics you couldn't use powers higher than your expected level.

ChaosOS

Legend
To me you're 95% of the way there, but I'd like to see spell points. While power points were implemented differently in 3.5 and 4e, I've come to associate that level of granularity with psionics.

RE: Counterspell - I think for transparency purposes I'm fine with counterspell being an option sometimes. I will note though that RAW, you literally can't counterspell something enhanced by subtle spell, counterspell is contingent on seeing the VSM components.

Honestly though my favorite Psion chassis in homebrews has been short rest points-caster. Short rest, like warlock, makes them feel "weird" and "different", and the points and lack of patronage keeps them different from warlock. I'd also definitely have class features that trade off the components to hit that "No, Psions have O components not V" aspect. Otherwise though I'm fine with using spells as the base template for psionic abilities, with of course the expectation that some alternatives would be made available (like what they're doing with the new psionic spells in Tasha's)

Eric V

Hero
I think the healthy approach is to simply not have a strong opinion about what is "right" and "wrong" and simply let creative people do the best they can. I personally feel that way about most geek IP, but I understand I'm in a distinct minority on that.
Too true! A lot of creativity seems to die when the masses get to vote on it. I'd rather see what professional designers can get up to with few restraints.

Weiley31

Legend
I mean, technically, if your playing a Divine/Favored Soul Sorcerer, then yes, RP wise, your Sorcerer is casting "divine" versions of the arcane Sorcerer spells and is either getting their powers from a Deity or if they have celestial blood. Just like how when a Druid casts their spells, it's not divine or arcane or even Psionics, but it's power source is Primal. It may not be considered "Primal" rule wise, but from a lore viewpoint than it's certainly Primal. Especially if it comes from the planet.

I also blame Mike Myler for giving me an excuse/example of making/having Primal damage as refluffed Thunder Damage.

Remove ads