• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your alignment in real life?

In real life, you consider yourself...

• Lawful Good

Votes: 86 20.5%
  • Lawful Neutral

Votes: 50 11.9%
  • Lawful Evil

Votes: 20 4.8%
  • Neutral Good

Votes: 156 37.2%
  • True Neutral

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • Neutral Evil

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Chaotic Good

Votes: 49 11.7%
  • Chaotic Neutral

Votes: 17 4.1%
  • Chaotic Evil

Votes: 1 0.2%

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
TerraDave said:
ENWorld needs more evil.
Actually, the fact that anyone marked himself/herself as evil leaves me intensely curious and vaguely disturbed.

I am disturbed because I consider myself a member of the ENWorld community, and I find it very hard to believe that I would associate with anyone who is truly evil. Obviously I do not have personal knowledge of most ENWorlders' moral or ethical compasses, but I find it strange that we have a fair number (percentage wise) of "evil" members, and I cannot recall seeing this ethos expressed with any regularity on the boards.

I'm curious because I don't understand how a person could name himself/herself evil. What makes a person believe that s/he is actually evil? Does a self-professed evil person purposely pursue evil ends, or is selfish pursuit of personal ends without regard to morality sufficient to make a person evil? Are these people evil in thought or deeds or both?

While I believe that truly evil people exist, I think that they are exceedingly rare. Evil people exhibit severe aberrations of normal human behavior often including the inability to recognize right from wrong. So, even truly evil people would not name themselves evil in a poll such as this because they don't think of their actions as wrong and therefore evil.

I believe that most of the self-proclaimed evil people fall into one of four categories:

1) they thought it would be funny to say they are evil.
2) they thought it would be "cool" to say they are evil.
3) they believe that their selfishness makes them evil.
4) they saw evil under-represented and decided to balance the poll.

I also believe that I am taking this thread far too seriously.

pawsplay

Hero
A lot of people say CG for me, but I have no illusions that Good would apply to me or that I even agree with it in principle. I would call myself a very ethical CN... basically decent, sometimes heroic, but I make no apologies for acting selfishly or simply out of curiosity. I hold myself to very high standards of behavior, but I consider my lapses to be an occasion to meditate and learn, not a symptom of badness. I take pleasure in sometimes doing things differently than usual, just to see what it's like. I'm not a schedule type of person. When I want something done, I don't harness discipline so much as I muster my enthusiasm. I tend to get along poorly with authority figures who don't like to be questioned.

So I'd say CN, some CG tendencies. Like any very chaotic person, on a given day in a given situation, I could seem CG, NG, or even LE.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Depends on the 'test' . NG showed up more often than LG for me. From a personal view, I'd guess that I'm NG.
Long-played PCs so far: 3x NG, 1x LG (a paladin, my very first PC), 1x CG, 1x NE (loved that one)...plus uncounted VILE EVIL creatures during my time as a DM! :] :cool: :lol: ;)

krichaiushii

First Post
I picked Neutral Good concerning people I deal with (family, coworkers, random person I meet on the street and initially deal with), but find that I am leaning more and more towards LN or even LE in regards towards social reform (education systems, justice and penal systems, tax laws, mandatory birth control, etc.) here in the US.

Thankfully for everyone, I am not the benevolent dictator I would like to be.

Arkhandus

First Post
.....I'm definitely Neutral these days, with Lawful Good leanings but nothing more. Maybe in 10 or 20 years some miracle will have restored my faith in humanity and dispelled my cynicism. Then I'll be LG again.

Were I a D&D character, I'd probably be a lay follower of Heirronneus. If I were somehow a cleric, I'd probably be a cleric of Pelor, since Heirronneus wouldn't accept me. Healing and Strength domains. Not positive enough anymore to really acquire the Good domain, but I'd still fight for Good at least.

Satori

First Post
My wife and I have this discussion a lot, and I am undeniably LAWFUL in the extreme.

-I like routine and hate spontaneity. Nothing pisses me off more than someone "Popping in" unannounced.

-I firmly believe that laws (in the US, at least) were created by people far more intelligent than I and, as such, should be followed even if it is inconvenient for me. Laws need a revision every now and then...but if I ever had a problem with the laws, I would live somewhere else.

-When something is created for a reason, it bothers it when people don't use it for that reason. i.e. Walking on the grass rather than staying on the sidewalk to save yourself 4 feet of walking. THE SIDEWALK IS THERE FOR A REASON!

-I believe in the sanctity of tradition. Traditions are used to remember important events, and without tradition we spit in the face of those that sacrificed for these important events.

-I feel that age deserves respect. Youthfulness should NOT be emulated by the unyouthful, and I can't stand watching people in their 40's+ trying to act like 20 year olds. You worked your arse off to get to where you are, darnit, so be proud of your years!

-Few things infuriate me like parents who refuse to discipline children THAT NEED IT. I've known several parents that preached, "We don't discipline our child!" with pride...even though their children were glassy eyed monsters that abused animals, ran around screaming, and yelled at adults. Keep in mind that Discipline =/= Abuse.

---

In regards to what Brent_Nall said, I have to agree.

Anyone who seriously entered "Evil" into the poll should get a hard newspaper smack across nose, with a firm "BAD KID".

Evil is NOT cool.

Evil is NOT mysterious and intriguing.

Evil is NOT funny.

---

"Calm down Satori, it's just a poll."

Yup, it is just a poll.

However, how much damage has been done to RPGs (especially DnD) because a scant few slack-jawed, delusional, seriously broken individuals couldn't distinguish between "DnD Evil" and "Real Evil"?

---

THIS is what happens when EVIL people acquire interests similar to those espoused here at Enworld.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/06/30/supermarket.killings.ap/index.html

http://www.courttv.com/trials/flemons/102406_background_ctv.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/crowe/20040413-9999-1m13tuite.html

---

Apologizing in advance for the harshness. It might have something to do with the spoiled pizza I had this morning..

...after drinking seven cups of coffee...

...black...

...straight from the pot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads