What's your favorite edition of D&D (so far)?

What D&D Edition Is Best In Life (To You, Right Now)?

• OD&D

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • B/X - early incarnations (Holmes/Moldvay)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • BECMI - boxes, Rules Cyclopedia (Metzner)

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • AD&D - 1st edition

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • AD&D - 2nd edition

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • D&D - 3.x edition (incl. 3E & 3.5E)

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • D&D - 4th edition (incl. Essentials)

Votes: 60 24.7%
  • Pathfinder

Votes: 36 14.8%
  • Other/retro-clones

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • I protest at your categorizations! (Free Moldvay, Unearthed Arcana, 3E, etc!!!!)

Votes: 3 1.2%

Mercurius

Legend
Interesting results so far. I'm a bit suprised at how 1E is leaving everything else in the dust, although I suppose that if you combine 3.x and Pathfinder it is similar.

It is also interesting to note that 3.x, 4E, and Pathfinder are all neck and neck.

I voted that I protest your characterizations, because I consider 3.0 and 3.5 to be very different animals (and especially early 3.0 prior to the publication of non-core player supplements). There is about as much different between 3.0 and 3.5 as are different between Basic and 2e AD&D.

I appreciate your view but isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? To me a better comp would be the difference between 1E and 2E.

But the reason I separated 1E and 2E and not 3E and 3.5E is that the latter are less distinctly different in terms of aesthetics and overall feeling. 2E marked the beginning of the first new edition of AD&D in 12 years and started a whole new wave and direction of products, in particular the "Campaign Setting Golden Age." 3.5 was a solid revision, but its overall aesthetic and ethos wasn't much different.

But again, it is a judgement call. Not splitting 3E and 3.5 is the only one that I hesitated on - I actually originally put it in but decided to combine them so as to recognize that they are, in the end, one edition, just like 2E and Players Options, or the BECMI boxes and Rules Cyclopedia. I wanted to be consistent with how I divided editions; if I had separated 3E and 3.5 out, I probably would have had to separate other editions.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I appreciate your view but isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? To me a better comp would be the difference between 1E and 2E.

And even that comparison - between 1e and 2e - seems a bit wide to me. There are hundreds of changes 3.0 and 3.5, but most of them are in the minor details of spells, not even major structures of the rules. It's more like the difference between 1e and 1e+Unearthed Arcana and the Survival Guides.

Hezrou

First Post
I was one of 10 to vote for 2nd edition....whhhaaaaaaaat :p

C'mon guys 2nd edition had Planescape that right there = win. I also really like Pathfinder and 3rd edition too but I didn't see an option to select multiple things.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
3.x/Pathfinder would be my choice, but since I had to pick, I went with Pathfinder.

I loved 1E when I played it.
I liked 2E when I played it (but toward the end kits ruined the game for me - hello, Bladesinger!)

But, as of now, 3.x/Pathfinder has been the best edition(s) for me.

Based on the early info, I doubt 5E will change this perception.

I was torn between the two versions of B/X-BECMI. I really like the Moldvay Basic book better, and I think that the Mentzer version got off track with the overpowered weapon mastery system, but in the end I went with BECMI due to the work done in fleshing out the campaign setting, such as in some of the better Gazetteers.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I had no hesitation voting for 4E but ask me again when I've been playing it as long as I played 3E and its variants. After ten-ish years of 4E, I might be exactly as sick of it as I was 3E after the same amount of time!

Celebrim

Legend
I appreciate your view but isn't that a bit of an exaggeration?

Since this is a subjective question I have no real way to answer that question except to say that it doesn't feel like an exaggeration to me. Both Basic and Second Edition were rules light variants of D&D, and they shared quite a bit in common in terms of their approach to combat resolution as much of the complexities of combat disappeared in both. If you didn't look at your character sheet, you'd be hard pressed to tell the two apart from the game play.

To me a better comp would be the difference between 1E and 2E.

You can make that as a valid comparison, but in my opinion 1E as it was played and 2E are probably even closer together than 3E and 3.5E. Since most people didn't track combat by segments, didn't have simultaneously declaration, didn't use weapon vs. AC modifiers, training times, used a simplified initiative system similar to basic or 2E and so forth. Anyone moving between 1E and 2E would probably not notice that they'd changed games unless their DM was a real stickler for the rules as written. All of this is true of changing between 3E and 3.5E as well, but generally when I stumbled over one of the changes between 3.0 and 3.5 it was a much bigger, "What the hey?" moment than the changes between 1E and 2E. At least I kinda knew where the main changes were in 2E. My group ended up sticking to 1E for character creation, combat resolution, and the like, and treated 2E about like supplements from Dragon. We got the 2E Bard and 2E dragons, and liked the expanded 2E lists of NWP's. But many of the changes - like dropping the half-orc and the assassin from the initial text - seemed less like changes than simply a different set of player options for the same game.

So at the least, 3E and 3.5E are as different from each other as 1E and 2E, but to me the pervasive and often random changes in the details of just about everything was jarring. It was often not easy to realize just how much had changed until it came up in gameplay, and then there would be this, "Huh?", moment from both parties. Monsters were as different the basic and 2E write ups of the same creature. Spells were as different as the basic and 2E write ups of the same spell. Feats were different. Zero level characters were just gone. Many of the changes were subtle and they tried to pass it off as something as minor as including some errata in a reprint, but it struck me once I had a chance to take it in as a big big change not just mechanically but in tone and emphasis.

But the reason I separated 1E and 2E and not 3E and 3.5E is that the latter are less distinctly different in terms of aesthetics and overall feeling.

Again, I'm not sure that I agree. While some of the changes in mindset that 3.5E brought along were apparant even in early 3.0E splatbooks like 'Sword and Fist', the era of the 'Complete' books was very different than what 3.XE had looked like when it was just the three core books. Numbers were made bigger and power creep was embraced as a good thing. Player empowerment was made the be all end all of the game (previewing the mindset of 4e), and the character creation subgame was made the driving force of if not the game then at least of the brand's business decisions. It really opened up the era where 3-4 classes were consider 'normal' for a character and where extreme character optimization was assumed as part of the CR/ECL balancing. Rules bloat was tremendous. Most of the 3.0e supplements were setting supplements either of specific settings or of the D&D generic setting with its assumed planes and cosmology. Most of the 3.5e supplements were player centered options and rules expansionis. It was a huge step away from the game as Monte Cook had presented it, and a huge step away from the 1e spirit that I felt had animated the 3e system.

But again, it is a judgement call. Not splitting 3E and 3.5 is the only one that I hesitated on - I actually originally put it in but decided to combine them so as to recognize that they are, in the end, one edition, just like 2E and Players Options, or the BECMI boxes and Rules Cyclopedia. I wanted to be consistent with how I divided editions; if I had separated 3E and 3.5 out, I probably would have had to separate other editions.

I feel that of all the splits you didn't make, 3.0E and 3.5E is the most glaring. 2E with Players Options probably is different enough to be considered its own edition as well, but never was really supported enough to make the distinction meaningful except for the very few tables that adopted it as their primary game. To me, it would be like listing 'Masque of the Red Death' or similarly different from default settings as their own edition of the game and I think its sufficient to have an 'Other' option for cases like that. But again, judgement call.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
I was one of 10 to vote for 2nd edition....whhhaaaaaaaat :p
I got your back - I just voted for 2e.

It was close... I'm running AD&D now for first time in many years and it's going great. I've run memorable campaigns in the 3e & 4e. But my first, best, and longest-running campaign was built on 2e, so it has to get my vote.

I can't really decide between 1E and 2E, simply because I enjoyed both of them a lot. However, on both of them, I add in the caveat that I would chop off big chunks of the stuff that came near the end of both editions... all those 'world' books for 1E, all those Complete Handbooks/Skills and Powers books for 2E. Both systems got just too waterlogged with supplements... trim them down, and both are rather good...

Remove ads