• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite RPG that you've never actually played?

Enforcer

Explorer
Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire I'd love to run or play.

I'd like to play in Star Wars Saga. Ran a one-shot once, lots of fun.

Likewise Exalted 2e. Ran a few sessions for my group a while back, but never got to play.

SoldierBlue

First Post
I'm willing to bet that there are games out there that have been developed, printed and purchased, but have never actually been played except by the people that wrote them.

Games I played once or twice, and would have liked to have played/GM'd more:

Marvel Super Heroes (elegant colour-based charts!)
Fantasy Hero (I loved playing it, but I had no idea what was going on; most humans are just not smart enough to GM it - me included)
Harn (very cool system - again, I'm not smart enough to GM it, but I think I enjoyed playing it; not to be confused with HARP, which is Rolemaster-lite!)
Twilight 2000 (although the past decade in my chosen occupation would make it hard to play now with a straight face)
Millenium's End (ditto as above; plus, unfortunate title - virtually gave the game an expiry date...)

Games I'd like to play before I die, but probably won't:

Rolemaster/HARP (who does play this? It's been around for 30 years, and yet I've never met another human who plays it)
Star Wars (any edition)
Renegade Legion
Battlesystem (1st or 2nd edition)
MERP (Rolemaster rules-lite for the '80s)
Savage Worlds
Alternity
Riddle of Steel

Games purchased but never played or GM'd (and never will):

Lejendary Adventures (sorry, Gary, if you're watching...)
Warhammer 2nd Edition
Rolemaster/HARP
D6 Space/Adventure/Fantasy
Star Frontiers
Traveller
Renegade Legion
Decipher Games' Lord of the Rings

...and many others, boxed away never to see the light of day again...

SoldierBlue

First Post
But to answer the actual post question: I recently purchased Fantasy Craft and Trailblazer. Both are written by eloquent and thoughtful developers, but I've barely got a handle on PF...

So Trailblazer and Fantasy Craft are probably the best products I've bought but will never play....

Jhaelen

First Post
I've not exactly played them never, but I don't think a single session really counts, particularly considering the circumstances:

- Call of Cthulhu
- Mage: The Ascension

The former session was one of the most comical I ever participated in. Even the DM, when he started describing some cultists engaged in 'unspeakable' rituals started laughing and was unable to stop for over a minute. Not the kind of experience I expected.

In the latter we played members of the Technocracy. We were also busy hunting reality deviants, so it wasn't really very much of a Mage game.

Pbartender

First Post
Oh, here's another one I'd forgotten about...

Star Thugs

Star_Thugs_Cover.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads