• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite RPG that you've never actually played?

nai_cha

First Post
Feng Shui.

And I'm not likely to to try it because (1) haven't run into anyone else who's heard of it and (2) my gaming group tells me Shadowrun will do if I want an RPG that also caters to my love for Hong Kong action films.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Feng Shui.
So different from Shadowrun, and (for me) so much more fun. I ran a Feng Shui game at GenCon this year. It's always, always a blast.

Under the theory "there are games I want to play that I never will!", every year for the last ten years I've thrown a house-con for my wife. About 40 friends show up for a weekend and run (mostly) non-D&D. This year we had 16 different game systems - RISUS, Changeling, Danger Patrol!, Earth Dawn, Og!, Delta Green, CoC, Sidewinder, Usagi Yojimbo, Savage Worlds, Deadlands, Star Frontiers, Spirit of the Century, Inspectres, Star Guild and 4e D&D. It's great and something I'd highly recommend to other people; our ground rules are pre-gen characters, 4 hour slots and no rules knowledge needed. I can't tell you how many cool systems I'd never have played if it weren't for us doing this.

nai_cha

First Post
So different from Shadowrun, and (for me) so much more fun. I ran a Feng Shui game at GenCon this year. It's always, always a blast.

Aww, now I really, really wish I could find people to try out Feng Shui with me. And your house-con sounds like a fab idea!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I think you may just need to strong-arm your group into a one-shot. If you do, jettison the meta-plot entirely and make it a kickass action movie. My GenCon game was an alien bug-hunt set in the future, but one of the more successful games I've run started the PCs in media res - in the middle of freefalling without parachutes. Then we flashed back 15 minutes to establish how we got there. I've never seen that sort of focus as people tried to figure out how they were going to survive!

If you bill it as Die Hard (or perhaps as something like The Expendables) you may be able to get it to happen. The tricks are keep combat moving quickly, and the GM should do all the math in his head so the players don't have to.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I'll add my name to the list of people who wanted, but never managed, to play a game of Rolemaster/HARP/MERP. The shame of it is that I no longer have any books for these systems but, at some point, made up characters for each of them.

I've gotta stop getting rind of games that I don't play. :blush:

Last edited:

cmrscorpio

Explorer
Promethean: The Created
The reversal of the traditional White Wolf formula of "human (or, seemingly human) becomes a supernatural creature" into "supernatural creature trying to become human" really fired up my imagination.

nai_cha

First Post
If you bill it as Die Hard (or perhaps as something like The Expendables) you may be able to get it to happen. The tricks are keep combat moving quickly, and the GM should do all the math in his head so the players don't have to.

Thanks for the advice! I ran it by my sister as "what might happen if John Woo and Wong Kar-Wai wrote an RPG together" and now I have one person willing to try it.

Looking up the games listed thus far on this thread, though, makes me want to try them too.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I'm in a similar situation concerning Powers & Perils, although I have some PDFs of "rules restatements" from online.

HARP Lite is a free download from:
HARP

Look to the left for "FREE Downloads". Choosing the first menu item produces a download dialog for the 4.7 MB PDF.
Thanks for the tip. I've downloaded it, now all I have to do is figure out to get my new computer to open the darn thing!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads