D&D 5E What's your favourite pantheon?

CydKnight

Explorer
My pantheons are very limited to mostly Faerun (Toril), Greyhawk ages ago when I played AD&D, a Homebrew World, and, only very recently, Exandria. With this very limited pantheon experience, I can't really give an unbiased answer. Obviously I do enjoy Faerun on the world of Toril since I've played it so much and therefore have a lot of knowledge about it. I had been wanting to play in Exandria since I started watching Critical Role back in 2016 and have quite enjoyed it in the limited time I've been playing.

Aldarc

Legend
My pantheons are very limited to mostly Faerun (Toril), Greyhawk ages ago when I played AD&D, a Homebrew World, and, only very recently, Exandria. With this very limited pantheon experience, I can't really give an unbiased answer. Obviously I do enjoy Faerun on the world of Toril since I've played it so much and therefore have a lot of knowledge about it. I had been wanting to play in Exandria since I started watching Critical Role back in 2016 and have quite enjoyed it in the limited time I've been playing.
Which is mostly the 4e Dawn War pantheon (or 4e PHB/DMG pantheon) + Sarenrae (from Pathfinder's Golarion).

Fictional: Melnibonean (1st Ed Deities & Demigods).

Real World: Can't decide (I love them all), every day the answer would change (today, Egyptian, because I am again perusing the rules and images for the kickstarter boardgame I backed called Ankh).

Staffan

Legend
Eberron is excellent in a different way, in that it actually seems somewhat naturalistic and believable, and I vastly prefer the "who knows if the gods exist, but they seem to!" approach to "Yo so I was just on WhatsApp with Mystra and she said Cyric had been talking smack about Tempus..." approach that the Forgotten Realms and many other settings have.
Exactly this. The best aspect of Eberronian religion is that it is primarily about people. The gods don't directly mess around with the world or even directly talk to their worshipers, so things have to be taken more on, well, faith. So you don't get nonsense like "Cyric has created a book that turns those who read it into devout worshipers, and Fzoul is about to read the book to a large audience, so we need to replace the book with something else that will diminish Cyric's power" or "Shar created a parallell weave and wants to kill Mystra so only her Weave remains." Instead you'd get things like "Keeper Jaela Daraan declares that sapient monsters are not 'innately evil' in conflict with previous doctrine, and should instead be judged by their deeds like any other sapient being, which creates a schism with the Pure Flame branch of the faith" – the religion in question being driven by mortals, not by divine deeds no-one can actually affect.

Remove ads