Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Didn't think of that. Possible but not required though.
Not required, but far more likely than not. They were trying to get Logain to the tower as quickly as possible, and Logain's followers were still in the area. They wouldn't spend the many hours necessary to dig those shallow graves in frozen ground when they have the one power to do it very quickly.

TheSword

Legend
I thought they placed stones on people to cover the grave, like a cairn? At least it looked that way when Matt was burying the Aiel in episode 3. Maybe they do that for all graves.

I found this one a bit slow. The bits with Perrin and Egwene were powerful but the white tower stuff seemed to drag. A lot of angst about a warder. Not sure I like the change from suicidal anger to just suicide… doesn’t feel very warder like.

The change to Tar Valon makes sense I guess. Loial and Matt’s illness was good.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I thought they placed stones on people to cover the grave, like a cairn? At least it looked that way when Matt was burying the Aiel in episode 3. Maybe they do that for all graves.

I found this one a bit slow. The bits with Perrin and Egwene were powerful but the white tower stuff seemed to drag. A lot of angst about a warder. Not sure I like the change from suicidal anger to just suicide… doesn’t feel very warder like.

The change to Tar Valon makes sense I guess. Loial and Matt’s illness was good.
When they pulled back the camera, we saw them all still lying there covered in blankets/sheets and nobody around.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Great episode (5), characters/actors are gelling nicely. Didn't notice until now that reds don't have warders.
Liandrin & Nynnaeve scene... wow sharp writing and performances:
"Because you hate men."
"Is that a question or a statement? Some of my red sisters perhaps. Women hold the one power, but men still control much of this world, and they are rarely kind to little girls who show a spark of being greater than they are."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
II found this one a bit slow. The bits with Perrin and Egwene were powerful but the white tower stuff seemed to drag. A lot of angst about a warder. Not sure I like the change from suicidal anger to just suicide… doesn’t feel very warder like.
The suicidal anger was the warders throwing themselves into battle after their Aes Sedai die, which this warder did. He just survived. Absent an enemy to throw himself against, moving on to just suicide seems like a natural progression. Remember, this was a supernatural effect that caused him to basically swallow her death and hold it inside of him. Even a warder could/would give in to that.

TheSword

Legend
The suicidal anger was the warders throwing themselves into battle after their Aes Sedai die, which this warder did. He just survived. Absent an enemy to throw himself against, moving on to just suicide seems like a natural progression. Remember, this was a supernatural effect that caused him to basically swallow her death and hold it inside of him. Even a warder could/would give in to that.
I understand. I’m just not sure what it added, rather than him just throw himself into battle. The writers instead chose a protracted, drawn out conclusion to it. Not sure when clearly dozens of people died based on the graves at the start Steppans funeral led to such an exaggerated outpouring of grief. It added very little to my mind.

I understand. I’m just not sure what it added, rather than him just throw himself into battle. The writers instead chose a protracted, drawn out conclusion to it. Not sure when clearly dozens of people died based on the graves at the start Steppans funeral led to such an exaggerated outpouring of grief. It added very little to my mind.
I mean, I can see that they are setting up and foreshadowing certain future events for Lan and Moiraine, but, yes, I agree it went on a bit too much. They should have at least shortened it up enough to actually give us the scene of Loial meeting Nynaeve in the Tower gardens.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
For y'all book reading folks, was the barmaid some type of darkling shapeshifter? Or was she just a regular person that worships the dark ones in secret and gets visions and stuff?
Darkfriends are an interesting lot in the books. For a long time, they were a secret cabal devoted to the Dark One (who they call the Great Lord of the Dark but who is a Satan stand-in) and organized into a cross between a cult and a gang. As the events of the book begin to unfold, however, the prison that has held the Dark One away from the world is weakening, and some of his very powerful lieutenants have gotten out or are able to reach into the world again (the Dark One and his Forsaken (the lieutenants) were sealed away by the last Dragon). The darkfriends in the books are routinely people who thought they were getting in with a club of people to get ahead in the world but are finding out that their oaths have serious teeth now that the Forsaken are loose again. In the books, the darkfriends after Rand and Co are directed by their own leaders and the Myrdraal, not driven by dreams. However, as more Forsaken are loosed, many have abilities to affect the dreams and even utilize an entire dreamworld and this becomes more common. It appears they smashed this into the earlier episodes.

Personally, I found the darkfriend to be pretty terrible, especially the part where she ran after them through the streets waving a sword and no a single person said boo. That the darkfriend just happened to be skilled with the sword Rand brought was a bit far for me. I stopped at episode 3, which apparently I felt was atrocious and others seem to like. It was plodding, the character development was weirdly paced and not clean, and the horror show they turned the Tinkers into was just a bridge too far. I mean, why? Why naughty word with the Tinkers? It strongly undercuts a large section of story for the Aiel and just makes them look pathetic. And, honestly, in story terms, if you're looking for things to cut I struggle with including the Tinkers in that form but cutting Elias for Perrin's story development.

Remove ads