Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wow, folks made a big deal of that?
Yeah. On one hand, kind of a petty, on the other hand, it does come up more than you might think is reasonable. But I do think it's literally just a legitimate character trait, and the author uses it to show her having a bad poker face in narratively effective fashion at times.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The comparison between the two is inevitable, and quite understandable. Not only are they both big, epic fantasy stories, but they were compared back in the 90s. The Wheel of Time was a phenomena, at least in the fantasy world. In a way, it essentialized the epic fantasies of the 80s, and turned it up to 11. GoT came out in 1995--the heart of Jordanmania--and offered a very different approach to the traditional, epic fantasy. It also became very popular, although not as popular as Wheel of Time - at least not until the HBO series came out.
I have some litt fan friends and their taste is similar to mine. Most of them turn their nose at fantasy (I cant say I dont either) but one really liked fantasy. He told me, "WoT is a good fantasy read, but GoT is just good period." I was suspect and he gave me his copy years before the HBO series. Sat on my shelf until I finally read it. It was really good. I'd give WoT a spin but way too many books to commit to. Especially, with all the mixed reviews on it. Not to say all of Martin's books in GoT series were great either (they weren't), just fewer to read.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have some litt fan friends and their taste is similar to mine. Most of them turn their nose at fantasy (I cant say I dont either) but one really liked fantasy. He told me, "WoT is a good fantasy read, but GoT is just good period." I was suspect and he gave me his copy years before the HBO series. Sat on my shelf until I finally read it. It was really good. I'd give WoT a spin but way too many books to commit to. Especially, with all the mixed reviews on it. Not to say all of Martin's books in GoT series were great either (they weren't), just fewer to read.
The Eye of the World has a beginning, middle, and an end: my usual recommendation is to give the first book a try, because by the end you will either love or hate Jordan's prose style, and can either go all in or stop Sat a conve isn't point.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sounds like She was more into the Picard maneuver than the braid tug.
Really what it is is that Jordan makes significsnt use of non-verbal communication throughout the books, which is admittedly not thst usual for writers to do most of the time.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The Eye of the World has a beginning, middle, and an end: my usual recommendation is to give the first book a try, because by the end you will either love or hate Jordan's prose style, and can either go all in or stop Sat a conve isn't point.
I liked the first book, but that wasn't enough to keep going. He, like Martin, needed an editor very badly. I stopped in book 4 or 5, as TO ME, it seemed nothing was happening at all. To me it was just the same scenes/story over and over. That said, I remember almost nothing from the books, so who knows, I could be wrong....

My point being, liking his prose wasn't enough for me, and for a lot of people that quit about where I did in the story.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In terms of comparing Game of Thrones and Wheel of time direct, I think they are far more obviously similar in books 4-6 of Wheel of Time, when stuff gets for REAL real.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases