• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When is D&D Insider actually launching?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They tend to ignore it and hope it goes away.

I'm going to make a guess that you don't actually work for WotC. Based upon that guess, I'm going to have to ask that you (and everyone else) refrain from speaking as if you actually know WotC business plans.

Your personal speculation does not qualify as fact - we have folks here looking for facts, and they'll confuse the two if you are not clear.

renau1g

First Post
Thanks for removing those posts :)

Back to the action:

Does anyone have a post from someone at WOTC (like Mearls) or something stating anything official.... or even quasi-official?

Well, Core Rules 1 did exactly what it was advertised to do. It supported the Core Rules, nothing more.

Core Rules 2 gave you a bit more flexibility, but was still lacking. It was only when Peter Adkison demanded a prodcut that could support his 30th level Dwarf Paladin that the Expansion was commissioned and returned superb results. I sitll have the product and am currently moving back to 2E completely because CR2+E gives me the flexibility I need and I always loved the version of the rules.

The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas was also a great product. I'm currently editing the undeveloped continet that exists approximately on the other side of Toril from Faerun to use as a campaign setting.

CR1, CR2, and CR2+E were done by Evermore Entertainment. Sadly, they went under shortly after WotC was sold to Hasbro.

:D

CR2+E

I have core rules 1 & 2, but was is that?

*sigh*

This is what I was afraid of.... I seem to remember when 3e or 3.5e was launched there was tools or some sort of software that would let you make characters? Wasn't there a cd or something... but the rules weren't supported past the initial (core) material... is that e-tools?

You're thinking of the mastertools CD rom that came w/ the 3E PHB. It evolved into e-tools, which for a while was getting data sets put out for all the official WotC stuff.

I like e-tools. It has the capability for you to input your own material, and you can even put in the stuff that wasn't released into dataset form when WotC called back all the licenses.

Waldorf

First Post
I guess the title explains most of it, but my group was really excited when we got our core books and it was explaining that they could "see" their character with the visualizer and so we followed the site from the back of the PHB. To our surprse it's Coming Soon... WTF? You advertise at the time of print and then don't have it ready over a month after the books are released?

This is why I can see many people upset at WOTC... I'm used to this stuff happening with computer games (promise everything then cut it out), but they had the ads in the back of the book....

So does anyone know when/if anything is coming out????

Don't hold your breath.

SSquirrel

Explorer
In my opinion, it sucks. It has sucked for years. It's a cluttered and inconsistent mess.

This. To the nth degree.

I think the idea is more that they want it to serve as a transition device from WoW to D&D. As I've remarked before, it's not so much that 4e is WoW, but the book has a lot of elements where they seemed to have written it as a guide on converting from WoW to D&D.

Actually, my Hemo spec rogue translates well as an Artful Dodger and my Healadin becomes a Cleric. I even get Consecrate :)

phloog

First Post
I'm going to make a guess that you don't actually work for WotC. Based upon that guess, I'm going to have to ask that you (and everyone else) refrain from speaking as if you actually know WotC business plans.

Your personal speculation does not qualify as fact - we have folks here looking for facts, and they'll confuse the two if you are not clear.

~ if you've got any questions about moderating, please send an email to the moderator in question (email addresses available in a sticky in the Meta forum). Thanks - PS

Last edited by a moderator:

Xyxox

Hero
CR2+E

I have core rules 1 & 2, but was is that?

They made an expansion which allowed you incredible flexibility for customization and included classes like the psionicist. You could also create custom classes.

IT was the pinnacle of software from WotC/TSR. Nothing from them since has even come close.

Remove ads