D&D General When the fiction doesn't match the mechanics

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Because we’re playing a game. And variable damage is interesting and fun.
Indeed. Same reason as why HP restores fully with a night's rest, why Fighters can get physically-unexplained bursts of healing or adrenaline allowing them to act (but not move) at double speed for six seconds, why you need to be a Rogue in order to sprint and attack, why even being dropped to 0 HP leaves no lingering injuries, why equipment isn't damaged even when the person wearing it clearly is, etc., etc.

The designers thought it was more interesting to do it this way--to play it this way. Because these are rules, and that shapes the experience of play. A few of those, they've built in alternative takes, but several they simply haven't.

Fiction is important. Critical, even. It is what separates D&D from something like craps. But the notion that the rules should get stuffed, rather than that the fiction should follow from the mechanical result, is definitely not how Gygax and Arneson designed the game. That is simply a fact, and things like Gygax's commentary on hit points and horses are the encapsulated demonstration thereof.

Realism is a tool. It should be used. It's far from the only tool--and treating it as though its input is always the most important, always the end-all, be-all of gameplay, is a fool's errand in D&D, of any edition.

Form follows function. And what else could "function" be, in a game, but its rules?

Hussar

Legend
Are you going to claim that the majority of players hate setting books and wish they didn't exist, like you?

Given the last ten years?

Absolutely.

When the ratio was lore/setting books first and then player option books then adventures (ie 2e to 4e), the hobby stagnated and nearly died repeatedly.

When 5e reversed the ratio and put adventures first, the game grew by rates never seen before.

Paizo’s primary products are adventure paths. They are renowned for them. Doing fantastically well for over a decade.

So yeah. I’m going to stand by what I said. The majority of players don’t care and don’t want setting books.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Given the last ten years?

Absolutely.

When the ratio was lore/setting books first and then player option books then adventures (ie 2e to 4e), the hobby stagnated and nearly died repeatedly.

When 5e reversed the ratio and put adventures first, the game grew by rates never seen before.

Paizo’s primary products are adventure paths. They are renowned for them. Doing fantastically well for over a decade.

So yeah. I’m going to stand by what I said. The majority of players don’t care and don’t want setting books.
And the depressing posts just keep on coming. You're making it very difficult to be happy for you.

pemerton

Legend
I really don't care what you play.
And the depressing posts just keep on coming. You're making it very difficult to be happy for you.
As an observer and reader of your posts, I find it a bit hard to reconcile these two. Why is depressing that there is a bigger market, for an RPG publisher, in selling adventure paths rather than setting books?

(Although, and perhaps contra @Hussar, I suspect a lot of those APs that get sold are also read rather than played.)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
As an observer and reader of your posts, I find it a bit hard to reconcile these two. Why is depressing that there is a bigger market, for an RPG publisher, in selling adventure paths rather than setting books?

(Although, and perhaps contra @Hussar, I suspect a lot of those APs that get sold are also read rather than played.)
Because I far prefer setting books over APs, and I find it depressing just how far from my gaming preferences the mainstream RPG market actually is. I especially find it very depressing how much apparent  relish certain posters show from telling me so, like they're sticking it to me. Makes you feel like an outsider, and telling me, "well, it's your turn, so suck it I guess" is very disheartening.

pemerton

Legend
Because I far prefer setting books over APs, and I find it depressing just how far from my gaming preferences the mainstream RPG market actually is.
I really don't get why you don't just play the sort of RPGs that you want to play.

And surely, if you are wishing to purchase setting books, there are ones you don't own yet. Eg do you have all the Loremaster/Shadow World book from ICE, many of which are available on DriveThru: DriveThruRPG.com - Iron Crown Enterprises - Shadow World - The Largest RPG Download Store!

Converting between RM and AD&D is not that hard (I can report from experience).

Last edited:

Because I far prefer setting books over APs, and I find it depressing just how far from my gaming preferences the mainstream RPG market actually is.
The only thing that has changed is that in the olden days there WAS no mainstream. RPGs where solely the domain of hardcore geeks obsessing over minutiae (yes, I was one of them).

These days, D&D has lots of casual non-geeks who just want to get together with some friends for a laugh and a bit monster slaying.
I especially find it very depressing how much apparent  relish certain posters show from telling me so, like they're sticking it to me.
Lots of people are in your position. Complaining about it only generates negativity, it isn't going to change anything.
Makes you feel like an outsider, and telling me, "well, it's your turn, so suck it I guess" is very disheartening.
I've always felt like an outsider. I embrace it. Who would want to be just like everyone else?

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i personally interpreted it to mean, or at least thought it made more sense to mean that half health is the point where it starts becoming blatantly obvious that you're battle-worn to some degree, like here's a poison/sickness example:
some days you're ill, your body is just off kilter and not feeling quite right, fundamentally you're at less than full HP but you still look to the casual observer pretty much all okay, but someone who takes a closer look and you're more pale than you usually are and your hands are oddly cold, then half health is the point where you're visibly clammy and your eyes are all red.

above half health you might have a nick or bruise or two, a little out of breath and cheeks are kinda pink, past half there's a slice on your side that's bleeding, you're holding your arm at a conspicuously not-relaxed angle and not moving it in a certain way, you're breathing heavy and your face is red.

Remove ads