• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Where (and when) are you getting the Starter Set?

Where are you buying the Starter Set?

• A Wizards Play Network store on the 3rd (or shortly thereafter)

Votes: 46 33.6%
  • Another retail store when I get around to it

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Amazon

Votes: 53 38.7%
  • Some other online outlet

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Phaw! 5E isn't real D&D to me

Votes: 7 5.1%

nerfherder

Explorer
I wasn't on the phone with you (or was I? *shifty eyes*) but what caused you to make the jump from "ignorance" to "willful ignorance?" I mean I'm on these forums basically every day, I've discussed all manner of things about 5e; and I don't even know (exactly) the date of the Starter Set's release (or any of them specifically). Now it isn't my livelihood to sell things to people so maybe that would be an incentive to find out but if they don't know couldn't it just be simple ignorance? Just curious.

If you've been on this forum every day, then I'm surprised that you haven't seen the link on every page called "Breaking News! CLICK HERE for full details on the D&D NEXT RELEASE SCHEDULE!", the discussions about the release dates, or the infographic Russ posted on the front page. Obviously, it's not impossible - I'm certainly not calling you a liar! - but you must have been very unlucky to miss that information here.

attachment.php

For a gaming retailer to not know the release date of the latest edition of the first and biggest RPG is quite astonishing. It's like a Porsche dealership not knowing when the latest 911 is coming out.

Last edited:

nerfherder

Explorer
While I'm glad the Starter Set exists and approve of the specific contents, I have no interest in buying the thing. Provided Wizards releases the Big 3 in PDF, I'll be buying them later this year, but I have no use for a starter product.

Very similar for me - except that I've pre-ordered the Big 3 in hardback from Amazon, using vouchers from trading in my 4e books.

the Jester

Legend
I wasn't on the phone with you (or was I? *shifty eyes*) but what caused you to make the jump from "ignorance" to "willful ignorance?"

A lot of it has to do with the fact that I've gone in to talk to them several times, and each time I've gotten the "I don't know anything about that" treatment with a side of "I'll mention it to my boss". I've talked to the boss lady once before, a few month ago, and expressed my interest in the new stuff, and even mentioned the "I can get it early if you guys are a part of the WPN or I can get it cheaper via Amazon if you're not". At the time, the guys working in the store mentioned that a bunch of other people had inquired about it, too. So they've had plenty of time to figure out what's up, as well as plenty of motivation to do so (in the name of selling product).

So when I called the other day and got a double helping of ignorance after repeatedly asking about it- and after (word on the street is) other people have asked, too- I can't come to any conclusion other than that they have chosen to remain ign'int about it.

EDIT: They host Wizards events, but can't even tell me if they're a part of the WPN... I mean, come on, guys, at least know what you're doing in your own store!

JoeCrow

Explorer
Yeah, there's three different stores that're technically "local" for me that're on Wizards' list of "official distributors" or whatever. Myriad Games in Salem, Updog Comics in Plaistow, and Toy Soldier in Amesbury. I checked in with each of them, and none of them had heard about the early distribution thing. Difference is, Updog told me that they'd completely given up on tabletop games sales, and that they had no interest in picking the books up (also, the place was kind of a pit). Toy Soldier hadn't heard about it, but the guy behind the counter said he'd look into it. And Myriad Games hadn't heard about the early release thing, but said that they'd look into it. When I went back a week or so later, the same girl was behind the counter, remembered my name, and confirmed that they'd be getting the books in early and asked if I wanted to reserve one.

So that's how you make loyal customers, folks.

CSwizzy

First Post
Getting it at Amazon. My FLGS is a Premier+ store, but their preorder sheet says July 15. Their support for D&D is not very good. It seems to not make them as much money as Magic drafts and X-Wing.

I have almost the exact same thing going on at my FLGS. I decided to go the Amazon route too, still sitting on $100 Amazon gift card from Xmas.

mechascorpio

First Post
My FLGS was touting last week that they'll have it on Thursday, and even started taking names and pre-payments. I'd already ordered it through Amazon, but I want them to know that I appreciate them being ahead of the curve on this so I popped in yesterday to reserve mine. So I know what I'll be doing this 4th of July weekend!

Talath

Explorer
I'm buying a copy of the starter set from Gamescape in San Francisco on the 3rd. I called them a few days ago and they confirmed the 3rd as a release date, because they are a WPN retailer. Additionally, they give me a 10% discount because I've spent more then a few hundred dollars over time.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
If this is current, why is the Starter July 3 with non-WPN stores subtitled on July 15, but the other books aren't? The core books are being released at WPN stores 12 days early, too. @Morrus?
Correction. 11 days early, so each item releases on a Friday. The Starter is a special case due to the July 4th holiday.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If this is current, why is the Starter July 3 with non-WPN stores subtitled on July 15, but the other books aren't? The core books are being released at WPN stores 12 days early, too. [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]?

I was not aware of this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads