• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do neutral characters go when they die?

Darkmantle26

First Post
From my understanding of the D&D afterlife (I think this was from planescape) When someone dies they are sent either to the plane on which their god resides or the plane corresponding to their alignment, but while leafing through the 5e DMG I saw no plane corresponded to the Neutral alignment, so where would a neutral character go? If they favored no god, would Kelemvor charge them with guiding other souls? I have a player in my current game who is neutral and claimed his character does not believe in the gods, and I like the idea of him being cast into the dust as a larva or put in the wall of the faithless.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
They are sent to the plane of Concordant Opposition where mind-wiped modrons shred the souls to make feminine hygiene products for the Lady of Pain.

--
Pauper

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
From my understanding of the D&D afterlife (I think this was from planescape) When someone dies they are sent either to the plane on which their god resides or the plane corresponding to their alignment, but while leafing through the 5e DMG I saw no plane corresponded to the Neutral alignment, so where would a neutral character go? If they favored no god, would Kelemvor charge them with guiding other souls? I have a player in my current game who is neutral and claimed his character does not believe in the gods, and I like the idea of him being cast into the dust as a larva or put in the wall of the faithless.

Planescape wise they'd end up as petitioners in the Outlands.

The DMG mentions the Outlands as the plane of Neutrality. N souls would go there. I suppose it is an okay afterlife unless you wander too close to the gate towns of the Lower Planes.....

This is something that really depends on the setting that you're playing in. Planescape is different to Forgotten Realms is different to Eberron etc.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
In FR, what sort of character doesn't pick some patron god, if only to avoid the WotF? What sort of loon actively denies the gods' very existence, what with them romping about Faerun every decade or so?

I'm curious, both about the OP's player's character, and about others.

Remove ads