• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where do neutral characters go when they die?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
this really comes down to your world death myth and your gods, even your cosmology. The outlands come to mind as one but maybe a transitive plane, like the ethereal, shadow or astral.

if you build your myth, the spirit or soul will move on to its location but if one is not available will have to wander the spirit world until it finds away into an afterlife. Some gods will take them in but many will fade away to become the stuff of the transitive plane and still others will be destroyed by the creatures that live there.

Shaghayegh

First Post
Sigil, the City of Doors, is true neutral and has portals to all other planes. A berk with no other place to go often ends up there until things get sorted out...

spectacle

First Post
My guess would be, that most have no idea of what happens in the afterlife unless they are born/raised deep into worship already. Child of a Cleric, paladin, priest, etc.

Otherwise, just like here in Earth, the utter lack of proof beyond myth is a hard bargain against not 'wasting time' in an already short life ,dedicating it to a deity granting you no powers or proof.
But there is proof. Using magic you can visit the outer planes and actually meet the souls of the departed and see how they are doing. Sure that kind of magic is beyond most, but when multiple planar travelers independently bring back the same stories then that's as much proof as you can really get for anything you haven't seen with your own eyes.

Nellisir

Hero
From my understanding of the D&D afterlife (I think this was from planescape) When someone dies they are sent either to the plane on which their god resides or the plane corresponding to their alignment, but while leafing through the 5e DMG I saw no plane corresponded to the Neutral alignment, so where would a neutral character go? If they favored no god, would Kelemvor charge them with guiding other souls? I have a player in my current game who is neutral and claimed his character does not believe in the gods, and I like the idea of him being cast into the dust as a larva or put in the wall of the faithless.

Put them up for auction.

Huh.

Actually, this could be a great adventure. Different pantheons & different outsiders bidding on unclaimed souls.
CG bidders think souls should be free and refuse to bid, or bid and let their purchases go. They don't have much cash, though. They do launch raids to release captive souls from the pens. They generally bid on good souls.
NG bidders don't usually attend, unless the mood strikes them. Again, not much of a purse. Purchases are expected to make a serious attempt to reside peacefully in their assigned realm, but not exactly chained down. They usually bid on good souls.
LG bidders find the proceedings distasteful but participate to redeem souls. They tend to buy souls that either follow their alignment (to keep them out of darker hands) or to try saving a seriously damned soul.
LN bidders obey the rules. They look for regular features, good posture, and compliance. They won't bid on souls that have attempted to escape.
N bidders are rare and most attend as factors for another bidder. They bid on specific lots.
CN bidders have a tendency to bid in prime numbers, cupcakes, or the letter "b". They pay in currency that may or may not be authentic, as well as cupcakes, fish loaves, and other bidders that are standing nearby.
LE bidders like to buy in large lots, but have discretionary funds to purchase unusual or exemplary items that are available. Auctioneers favor LE bidders, as they follow the rules, don't cause trouble, and have deep pockets.
NE bidders also work as factors for other parties, as well as making their own buys. They don't buy as much in bulk as LE bidders, tending to spend a lot on unusual souls. They enjoy buying unclaimed good souls. Like CE bidders, they're not above a bit of backstabbing during the auction either.
CE bidders are aggressive and disruptive, running up the price and then dropping out at the last minute, or just not showing up to pay. They don't like to pay a lot, much preferring to steal a wanted item later. They frequently launch raids to steal souls from the pens. They're also known to assassinate rival bidders to get the upper hand.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
But there is proof. Using magic you can visit the outer planes and actually meet the souls of the departed and see how they are doing. Sure that kind of magic is beyond most, but when multiple planar travelers independently bring back the same stories then that's as much proof as you can really get for anything you haven't seen with your own eyes.

While that does exist, that doesn't represent the norm. These high-powered individuals aren't teleporting around Faerun talking about the afterlife. Sure, those very close to them would hear the Tales(or have been taken with), and can share those tales. But after a few tellings away from those in the real know, they simply become stories. Sometimes that is enough, sometimes it isn't.

I would agree that some of those in the wall heard of it before, or even have seen in in their lifetimes, yet they are a vast minority. The whole conversation is opinion, of course, but it seems mostly logical.

Dausuul

Legend
In the traditional D&D cosmology, they go to Concordant Opposition, or the Outlands if you prefer that newfangled Planescape stuff.

In my setting, they rise as zombies at the next sunset, just like everybody else.

Hussar

Legend
While that does exist, that doesn't represent the norm. These high-powered individuals aren't teleporting around Faerun talking about the afterlife. Sure, those very close to them would hear the Tales(or have been taken with), and can share those tales. But after a few tellings away from those in the real know, they simply become stories. Sometimes that is enough, sometimes it isn't.

I would agree that some of those in the wall heard of it before, or even have seen in in their lifetimes, yet they are a vast minority. The whole conversation is opinion, of course, but it seems mostly logical.

Actually, that's not entirely true though. Those traveling to the planes aren't just wizards, they are high(ish) level clerics as well. And they DO talk about the afterlife. Quite often to groups of like minded people who are pretty disposed to agree with a lot of what they are saying. Never minding there are many, many ways to actually have visitations.

I mean, in 5e, any 10th level cleric can call directly on his god, generally successfully (10% chance each time) and have a divine servant pop up, regularly, just about every week.

When an actual Angel tells you how the afterlife works, I'm thinking that would have an impact. It would be pretty reasonable for Angels (or something similar) to be popping up in large urban centres just about every week. Different churches, sure, but, not particularly rare.

Heck, even if you just used Divine Intervention at weekly services, having an Angel pop up to give a guest sermon every couple of months (odds say 1/10 weeks) would likely pack the pews.

Remove ads